What's new
What's new

Help identifying indicator

I see some items in a quick search that suggests Hamilton and Starrett worked together on things like this. Starrett or Dorsey metrology may be able to help you.

I agree the indicator is not worth anywhere near that much, good on him if someone's that foolish. Thanks for sharing that, I'm just trying to find out more about what I have. I took it into the lab yesterday and it is still reading very accuracy.

I picked up this Hamilton watch company recently and cannot find out much about it. I seems to be from the 60s, has .00002 resolution and .5 travel on the lower anvil. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Indicator - Album on Imgur

I have a similar "head", same resolution, but marked 2-0-2 1 Div = .000002".

My one is a basic DI, without the "works" your one its atop.
Hamilton Watch Company P/N 414-002

Pasteboard box says:

Hamilton Watch Company
Industrial Products Division - Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Also it's sibling in ten millionths per division.

These are the legendary "high amplification" Hamilton mechanical movements - among the finest of their type ever built, any continent, any era.

Dorsey Gage had published the history on the web at one time as to how they bought the production tooling AND hired the Hamilton staff who had built these when they took it over. Dorsey then sold them under the Dorsey name, and also furnished them to Pratt & Whitney with P&W's name on the dial.

I have some of each - Dorsey & PW dial branding. Only my two large 4 AGD size have Hamilton's name, packaging, & P/N.

Dorsey then went through some business organizational changes. The unit that still made the former-Hamilton goods became "Dorsey Metrology".

The Hamilton-derived line in the large 4 AGD size and fine resolution - 10 and 20 millionths - were shown on their website for quite some time.

I didn't find them on a recent website browse though.

Dorsey should still be able to service this unit, even if they no longer make new ones.

They are a tad touchy, but very lovely ....when you actually NEED them!

:D

The indicator itself is not uncommon, and no it’s not worth $3750, not even $375. The mic itself is pretty unique though.

No, I'm positive that listing is correctly valued. It must be, I paid twice that for this one in much nicer shape...

Hamiton Indicator 1.jpg

I mean, look at it! It has the factory remote trigger and all!

[/S in case it's needed]

No, I'm positive that listing is correctly valued. It must be, I paid twice that for this one in much nicer shape...

View attachment 317220

I mean, look at it! It has the factory remote trigger and all!

[/S in case it's needed]

Same one I have. I didn't know it HAD a cable control option. I'll have to check and see if it uses the same sort I have on my old UPI-Press "film" camera mount.

ISTR I paid only a hundred bucks or so for it though?

I'm curious as to when they started including the model number on the dial. They are indeed very touchy, I zeroed a ground .25 copper block on there that was at 40*F and watched the needle really swing as it reached 70*F

I would consider selling it, otherwise will build a mount a display it with the rest of my collection. I very rarely have a need for that much accuracy, and don't see myself transitioning into horology

Man. You guys have the coolest toys...Er, umm, I mean tools. :D

I set out with a DEEP dive, and "more than just the one time" into Long Island Indicator's very useful published info on the merits - and lack-of -w/r to the indicators of the world.

And then.. ZOOMED the piss out of photos on eBay and grabbed the cleanest, least-flawed looking goods I could find. Not the cheapest. Box or case was "don't care". No problem as to fine woods to make new cases from. BFD

I EXPECTED to have 50% to 75% "disappoinments" arrive. So I bought "many".

So far not even ONE has turned out a bad deal, and only a few even need cleaning and lube-if-they-even-use-it.

Same-again ALL of my extensive and "near-as- dammit" battery-free AKA "all manual" metrology collection OTHER than DI/DTI.

Annoys the Hell out of me to hit the wall on ANY Project .. if/as/when the only measure-whatever under-roof goes hors de combat.

Besides.. I LIKE the "Old Skewl stuff!
I actually remember how to USE it without need of new schooling!

And it was cheap, too!

At least until I bought up so much of the "good stuff"! Then the prices started responding!

Rest of you lot shall have to roll yer OWN dice now!

I've only got a couple at that level, don't use them a whole lot. Very useful when they're necessary. This is my most recent, grabbed it for $50, found a recent cal cert from Federal in the bottom of the box.

20210131_192436.jpg

I've only got a couple at that level, don't use them a whole lot. Very useful when they're necessary. This is my most recent, grabbed it for $50, found a recent cal cert from Federal in the bottom of the box.

View attachment 317224

Federal has been on my "brown list" since the petit tête de merde got me an EXTREMELY RARE arse-chewing from Herr Pelz aound 1960.

I told him I was certain the fool thing had a sticky rack.

It proved to be true. But long after he had heard it from ME, so "No Joy"!

That said, I am pleased with a clean used Mahr "Millimess" bought from another PM member that is just fine @ 20 millionths, US..

And some OTHER confusing "funny number" if I happen to push the "tête de merde" button provided since they made stupidity a field-selectable option.

Never having found stupidity in any sort of general shortage, nor very long on backorder, I just don't DO that.

Same one I have. I didn't know it HAD a cable control option. I'll have to check and see if it uses the same sort I have on my old UPI-Press "film" camera mount.

ISTR I paid only a hundred bucks or so for it though?

It's likely yours have it too, here's some detail shots of the "thread in" point, and the small cap to protect the interior while the remote is, well, remote.

Hamilton Indicator Back 2.jpg

Now, what I'd like to know is what is the LARGE knob for? Unlike the small cap, which was just finger tight, the large knob is resistant to being opened, and I don't want to throw a Vise-Grip on it out of respect.

Hamilton Indicator Back 3.jpg

Anyone have a clue?

Back