Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default help me identifying this instrument

Hello PiraticalMachinist,

I need to build a machine similar to the one on the picture to strengthening acme screws (for a smaller scale application)
    Does anybody know of a Gage ‘Set up’off the shelf similar to the one on the picture?

It measures the Rod run out as the operator rotates the outer surface of the rod.
    I thought of having the Dial indicator directly underneath the rod however, it would be hard for the operator to see the needle changes.
    Thanks in advance

shaft.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Companies like Marposs make contact and non-contact instrumentation that will do what you need.

Equipment for dimensional and geometric inspection | MARPOSS

Many other metrology companies out there, including Mitutoyo, that can supply electronic indicators or sensors that can have a remote display, a lot of options here. Also look into Hall and similar proximity sensors, both magnetic and optically based.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like a specially made lever actuator for a standard dial gauge. Probably designed by the press manufacturer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nt1953 View Post
    Except that it transfers motion 90*.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending on size and accuracy, if I had to build a straightening press, there'd be 3 travel indicators. One positioned by choice along the length below, another at the ram to monitor deflection and one adjacent at 90°. Straightening rarely is just a bow along the axis/ centerline. The third indicator, away from ram displays bends at different 'angles' to the one being straightened.
    I've straightened many, many swaged tubing aircraft components. We had a conventional hydraulic H-frame 60" wide. Vee blocks registered right to the cross-wise bed rails; along those rails I mounted mag base indicators. The one below was tedious centering & at the first initial bit of travel until I conceived a 'truck', mounted on a rod connecting well below the Vee's.
    Consider 2" travel to monitor deflection, 1" run out of travel just compensating for spring-back of material.
    This is ancient history enough that internet and convenient digital photography was WAY out of reach. Hopefully this description conveys a relatable image.
    Our collective ability to author good technical writing seems to wane every passing moment.

8. Likes italo_venegas liked this post