What's new
What's new

help me identifying this instrument

italo_venegas

Plastic
Hello PiraticalMachinist,

I need to build a machine similar to the one on the picture to strengthening acme screws (for a smaller scale application)
Does anybody know of a Gage ‘Set up’off the shelf similar to the one on the picture?

It measures the Rod run out as the operator rotates the outer surface of the rod.
I thought of having the Dial indicator directly underneath the rod however, it would be hard for the operator to see the needle changes.
Thanks in advance

shaft.jpg

It looks like a specially made lever actuator for a standard dial gauge. Probably designed by the press manufacturer.

Depending on size and accuracy, if I had to build a straightening press, there'd be 3 travel indicators. One positioned by choice along the length below, another at the ram to monitor deflection and one adjacent at 90°. Straightening rarely is just a bow along the axis/ centerline. The third indicator, away from ram displays bends at different 'angles' to the one being straightened.
I've straightened many, many swaged tubing aircraft components. We had a conventional hydraulic H-frame 60" wide. Vee blocks registered right to the cross-wise bed rails; along those rails I mounted mag base indicators. The one below was tedious centering & at the first initial bit of travel until I conceived a 'truck', mounted on a rod connecting well below the Vee's.
Consider 2" travel to monitor deflection, 1" run out of travel just compensating for spring-back of material.
This is ancient history enough that internet and convenient digital photography was WAY out of reach. Hopefully this description conveys a relatable image.
Our collective ability to author good technical writing seems to wane every passing moment.

Back