What's new
What's new

High precision digital level

tonykong

Plastic
Hi, guys,

Is it a popular product in the market that a digital level with an accuracy of 0.001mm/m? Or almost every level manufacturer is capable to hit this accuracy? Some guys invited me to invest to a factory to do this, and I am not sure it is promised or not. Any advices? Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hey Tony,

I have a couple Stabila digital levels I use for carpentry. They are awesome. When I am working alone, or on a ladder, I can use the beeps (beeps get closer together as you get to level or plumb) so that I don't even have to be able to see the bubble or LCD screen. Its a huge time saver. For carpentry, I don't need extreme accuracy.

As a part time machinist, personally I don't see having the same need. Don't need a digital replacement for my Starrett precision level for example.

So I guess I'm saying, the key benefit of the digital level FOR ME, is that it allows me to use it without having to read it visually.

Secondarily, its nice to be able to set angles and determine inches per foot for example when doing plumbing drains- I set those 1/4" per foot of slope and the levels will read that. But I don't rely on that alone to establish slope. I measure down from a level line to both ends of a pipe.

Hope this helps

Whether this is pre-SPAM or not, a true "million to one" level is likely going to be so fussy in anything other than lab settings that it wouldn't add much value to a "regular" machinist unless it had decimal shifts to .001, .01, .1 or so.

More important than the nominal readout is repeatability and stability when handling it in a shop setting.

Back