How to measure the center to face of a 45 degree plumbing fitting
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to measure the center to face of a 45 degree plumbing fitting

I am trying to figure out how to measure the F1 and F2 dimensions.

Typical an engineer uses a Faro Arm to check this dimension but all the engineers are out with various reasons The faro arm is off limits to operators. I tried an existing program in the cmm but the results aren’t close when I used it on a known good part.

So how can I check the center to bottom of socket of this pipe fitting?img_4334.jpg

Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pins and a comparator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have a CMM that sounds to have a bad program.
    The engineers use a Faro arm which is off limits but they let you use the CMM. Very strange shop indeed
    How big is the part?
    I can see the pins and compartor on a small guy that fits on the screen but you had better have a shit load of tolerance as this will not be very accurate or repeatable unless you have pins to use in .0001 increments.
    This is probably the CMM program problem also. Take that good part, relocate or twist a bit and see what the CMM says.
    I would never use a Faro arm to measure this so that is spooky to start with.

Bore is short, can the outside faces be trusted to be true to the bore or are they rough still?
    This is a CMM job IMO.
    Many problems seen here as a measuring guy and engineering should have addressed this but one works with what you are given.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drop a gauge ball in there and then check it with a depth micrometer. If you have access to cad, you can use that to model it and determine the depth you should measure from the end to ball.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

make a simple fixture with 1/2 tooling holes, or 1/2 tooling balls on a sin plate.
    having the 3D model would help, use stack up dim from the ball to the c'bore depthfiting.jpg

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd take a wire and bend to 45º. I'd then place it on top of the fitting and cut at the ends so it becomes the same "length" as the middle of the fitting. Easy to measure the wire after that. I can't for the life of me figure out why it needs to be more accurate. These items are mass produced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'd take a wire and bend to 45º. I'd then place it on top of the fitting and cut at the ends so it becomes the same "length" as the middle of the fitting. Easy to measure the wire after that. I can't for the life of me figure out why it needs to be more accurate. These items are mass produced.
    You need to re-read the OP. A piece of bent wire will not measure the 'F' dimension.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    You need to re-read the OP. A piece of bent wire will not measure the 'F' dimension.
    I suggest you think about what I wrote.

1. You don't measure the wire. You measure the distance to the bend in the wire. If the thread is a straight thread then measure the thread depth. Subtract from the wire length to the bend.

2. If the thread is a tapered thread distance "F" is irrelevant.

In fact I still don't get why knowing "F" has any relevance. Looks like a standard 45º pipe fitting. If "F" has relevance I'll apologise to the OP.

BTW I suggest you get someone to check your twitchy fingers as you are always in the first 3 with my "Recent Visitors". If it isn't a physical problem then I'd think you followed me around.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

use stack up dimensions and fixt as posted above

fiting1.jpg