How to solve large indicator "delay"?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to solve large indicator "delay"?

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to ask or if this has been answered before, I searched and could not find the answer.

I got myself a second hand 0.002 mm Verdict test indicator, and I'm having some trouble measuring to any degree of precision -- the indicator seems to have about a 0.01 mm delay before the needle starts moving at all, in either direction. This is with a sufficiently preloaded lever. When I shim up one side of a known flat block, and sweep across the block, the needle does not budge until about halfway through the block. After that, it behaves as expected. Similarly changing direction and sweeping the other way around does the same thing.

I have considered this might be flex in my holder, but touching or even very lightly tapping the indicator does not produce needle movement.

I believe this is called hysterisis error, and is to some degree unavoidable, but 5 divisions seems way too much for the indicator to be usable. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix/deal with this?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It might be 2nd hand for a reason. It does sound fishy.

Unless you got it at an estate or retirement sale of a tool maker or the likes, few people will give up or want to sell something as fine and as sensitive as your indicator. If you were able to buy it used, it's very likely the owner knew it wasn't working perfectly anymore and got rid of it. I just don't see someone selling something like that if it were still flawless. And let's face it. An indicator reading to 2 microns better be flawless in it's actions or it's useless.

And of course with something like this, if your holder isn't stout and absolutely rock solid, this indicator will drive you crazy.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I think I now realize that too, but I would really like to avoid passing this problem to yet another poor soul on ebay. Hence, looking for suggestions on how this could be diagnosed/fixed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont know about the UK but the states have a bunch of places that repair indicators. they run about 75-120 bucks and 25-45 if you need certification on it.
    just had 2 interrapids done it was under 200 bucks and certified. thy work just like they did when new in the 90's

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can send any verdict clocks back for refurbishment at the place they are made in Ashford Kent, I sent mine in and got a full refurb for 30 quid. (Take the stylus out before hand and they put another in for no extra cost)

They also fix any brand of indicator if you allow them to source the parts they need.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I called up the company in Ashford, and apparently they havent had the parts for my model "for over 15 years", so that unfortunately won't be an option.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well worst case situation, smash it with a hammer before you toss it in the bin to keep this cycle from happening again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried to oil/clean it with thin oil? I would just put a few drops of kroil or similar in it, if it does not work then smash it on a bad day, when some aggression needs to be released.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like it might just be a little sticky and need some instrument oil on the jewels

10. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the model number, just out of curiosity? Should be a ‘T’ number?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Luke, it's T4A, according to the seller -- a model I couldnt find in any catalogue, however old i found.

Rob, BSCustoms, I'll try a more thorough clean/disassembly/oiling over the weekend, but it has a slim one piece tubular body that's basically impossible to open/access in most places, so even maintenance is a little complex.