What's new
What's new

How thick will it be?

Drilldept

Plastic
I’m trying to calculate the thickness of a steel bar with holes. It’s hard to describe so here’s a picture Imgur: The magic of the Internet (the white circles are 10mm holes and the dark grey area are 2mm steel wallthickness).

If the holes would be horizontal inline to eachother with 2mm steel between them and also 2mm steel at the outerwalls, the overall thickness would be 26mm, but with the pattern in the picture the thickness will be less, but exactly how much less?

2mm + 5mm + (12mm * cos(30)) + 5mm + 2mm = 24.392mm

Regards.

Mike
I’m trying to calculate this figure with 2,5mm steel instead of 2mm this time. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

What’s the overall height and width? Through my calculation I got the height to be 45mm and the width about 26?

(With more steel between the holes it should not be possible to compress the width through the use of a pattern as much as with less steel? If the thickness of the steel were to be 5mm for example, the pattern wouldn’t make any difference in terms of width would it? Because I only gain about 1.5mm compression with the original 2mm design pattern, so if I add more than 1.5mm steel the pattern wouldn’t make a difference no more, or am I wrong?)

I'm not going to do your homework for you but I will give you some hints.

The vertical center-to-center distance of the holes is 2 x the radius plus the 2mm wall thickness.

The angular center-to-center distance between each upper left hole and the one to its lower right is the same.​

The rest is simple trigonometry. If it helps, print out the graphic and draw lines to help you visualize the triangle.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"​

By the way, the solution would be very simple if you drew it in a 2D CAD program. Then you could move the holes around and see what results. If you draw the holes as tubes it is easy to do and you can quickly vary the wall thickness with the OFFSET command.

Back