How to utilize surface feature of Mitutoyo optical comparator ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to utilize surface feature of Mitutoyo optical comparator ?

Late model PH 350 identical to one below. For display of surface features I turn on the side light...but then what ? It came with two 45 degree angle doo dads* that seem meant to mount on a lens...but which lens and how to orient it, etc ?

(no manual)

* Kinda like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Diagonal-Reflect...efaultDomain_0 except with a see thru plastic instead of a mirror...or maybe it's the reflector I actually need ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of these at work. I even have part of the manual already scanned into a PDF (sent to another PM member awhile back) if you want it. I will return to work Friday night and can email it from there.

The reflector is placed on the horizontal lens below the screen. Orient it so that the side light when on, is reflected onto the surface of the object being illuminated. All other lighting should be turned off. Slide the side light back to front to achieve the best light reflection onto the part. The reflector should actually be a clear sheet of plastic, not an actual glass mirror. The illuminated image will be seen through the lens the reflector is attached to and shown on the screen. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
    The reflector is placed on the horizontal lens below the screen. Orient it so that the side light when on, is reflected onto the surface of the object being illuminated. All other lighting should be turned off. Slide the side light back to front to achieve the best light reflection onto the part. The reflector should actually be a clear sheet of plastic, not an actual glass mirror. The illuminated image will be seen through the lens the reflector is attached to and shown on the screen. -Mike
    Thanks Mike...that works surprisingly well. I say surprisingly because both of the half mirror attachments I have the semi clear vinyl (or whatever it is) looks "dirty"...and yet cleaning them seems to make no difference. And if the "dirt" is actually some sort of coating, it seems so "irregular" in appearance that it is quite surprising just how nice the image is once you get the object position and light just right.

In addition to the usual 10x lenses, I have a 5x lens set, which I presumed was brand new and it's half mirror looks similar, allbeit much larger in size. I wonder just what that coating is ?

Also, it didn't occur to me the image would be reversed...I wonder if that full mirror on eBay is supposed to be utilized to "reverse the reverse" somehow ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have 2 of the reflectors for our 10X lens, one is beat up pretty badly but still works. I haven't noticed a coating of any kind, maybe yours are newer? The shinier they are the better.
    Every Mit comparator I have worked with has been reverse imaged. Hazarding a guess I'd say its because there isn't enough room for the extra mirrors needed to turn the image back around. I have an early 14" Nikon Kugoku in my home shop which also views in reverse.

Unless the mirror you linked to on Ebay is "see through" it wouldn't work on the PH350 as the image is beeing seen through the lens with the reflector in front of it. On the 20X lens the reflector is built into it and is set by twisting a knob. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
    Unless the mirror you linked to on Ebay is "see through" it wouldn't work on the PH350 as the image is beeing seen through the lens with the reflector in front of it.
    So the question is, just what the heck is that eBay mirror actually for ?

I wonder if it's really part of a laser set...