HRC testing of case hardened parts
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HRC testing of case hardened parts

Just curious if there any rules of thumb or alternative hardness tests for case hardened parts where the case thickness is unknown? We had a few parts Rockwell tested and my scratch tests just do not line up with what they sent back. I think the surface is a good bit harder and I have heard that trying to test rockwell on cased parts just crunches the outer shell and will lie every time. Is that accurate? Is the scratch testing a bit more accurate?

I realize scratch testing is not "calibrated" but sometimes getting in the ball park is all we need. I use some certified materials in the shop to compare to as well as HSS, carbides, etc. What else could we look at?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need a micro-hardness tester to get meaningful results on case hardened parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look in MHB. There is a Rockwell Superficial Hardness test, N scale. It is written as HR(15, 30, or 45)N. The 15, 30, or 45 refers to the load in Kg applied to the diamond brale used for the C scale. Not as good as a micro hardness tester, but something you probably already have the equipment to perform.