What's new
What's new

I might have accidentally bought a height gauge?

SexieWASD

Plastic
So I was browsing ebay and found an auction with no reserve for a Brown and Sharpe height gauge. It looked cool from the one low resolution photo, So I bid $20 for the heck of it. So it turns out that I won that auction for $10.50 and after $160 freight they are shipping it.

The auction had no other information about it. I don't even know if it works, but from what I can gather it's quite old, and needs an external readout that's not included. From the pictures I've found of the readout it only measures three decimal places, which is fine for my hobby uses, but maybe not a great deal after the freight charge.

It looks to be a hite-tronic, but I don't have any model number.

Has anyone used one of these, or have any information about what I've bought? I can't seam to find much of anything for information on hite-tronic gauges, except that I know B&S is usually good quality. I've found a few old auctions with just as little information, but not much else.

B82219F7-2CFE-4FE7-8432-F34ECE74DBB4.jpg

Link to auction

So I was browsing ebay and found an auction with no reserve for a Brown and Sharpe height gauge. It looked cool from the one low resolution photo, So I bid $20 for the heck of it. So it turns out that I won that auction for $10.50 and after $160 freight they are shipping it.

The auction had no other information about it. I don't even know if it works, but from what I can gather it's quite old, and needs an external readout that's not included. From the pictures I've found of the readout it only measures three decimal places, which is fine for my hobby uses, but maybe not a great deal after the freight charge.

It looks to be a hite-tronic, but I don't have any model number.

Has anyone used one of these, or have any information about what I've bought? I can't seam to find much of anything for information on hite-tronic gauges, except that I know B&S is usually good quality. I've found a few old auctions with just as little information, but not much else.

View attachment 271654

Link to auction

160.00 freight......what a rip!!!!

I guess I'll find out when it gets here, It might be my new fancy coat rack with all I know about it right now :D

A very, very nice height gage but it looks like you are missing the electronics box that goes with it.
If electrically inclined one could make your own but.....
If nicely packed and in nice condition on the slides keep the crating and maybe try to sell it.
Bob

You might have a bargain, you might not. Re "only measures three decimal places" those might be metric and not inches. 0.001mm = 0.00004"

Brown & Sharpe Tesa Micro-Hite Height Gage

CarbideBob might be offering good advice if it is OK.

You might be right about it being metric.

here is a link to an auction for the electronics for it, it appears to be in metric mode, it would also not have any use for three digits in front of the decimal place in inch mode.

The model number for the electronics is 200-50-341

Looks like a very nice height gauge indeed.

Aside from a separate counter, I imagine that thing is supposed to have an air connection as well. Granite column = probable air bearing. Also very likely counterweighted, in which case you will need to be diligent about checking that part for transit damage.

If the internal scale is in functional condition I am sure you can retrofit a modern reader head, any one of the cheap single axis DRO units should do as long as they have switchable resolutions. If it's a sine wave scale you can get interpolators for those to output standard quadrature here.

I note that they have specific preamp units for old Brown and Sharpe CMMs listed there in my link. Good chance there is a similar type of scale in your height gauge.

So, an update, After I had paid the seller came back and said he had a new quote for shipping for $280. We both agreed that was insane. I don't think he was trying to pull my chain as we both agreed to cancel the whole thing and he refunded the full amount I had paid. I'm kinda bummed out that I won't get to try making an arduino controller/readout for it as that would be a fun project, but also a bit relieved that I don't have to worry about what condition it's in.

Back