I might have accidentally bought a height gauge?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I might have accidentally bought a height gauge?

So I was browsing ebay and found an auction with no reserve for a Brown and Sharpe height gauge. It looked cool from the one low resolution photo, So I bid $20 for the heck of it. So it turns out that I won that auction for $10.50 and after $160 freight they are shipping it.

The auction had no other information about it. I don't even know if it works, but from what I can gather it's quite old, and needs an external readout that's not included. From the pictures I've found of the readout it only measures three decimal places, which is fine for my hobby uses, but maybe not a great deal after the freight charge.

It looks to be a hite-tronic, but I don't have any model number.

Has anyone used one of these, or have any information about what I've bought? I can't seam to find much of anything for information on hite-tronic gauges, except that I know B&S is usually good quality. I've found a few old auctions with just as little information, but not much else.

b82219f7-2cfe-4fe7-8432-f34ece74dbb4.jpg

Link to auction

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SexieWASD View Post
    So I was browsing ebay and found an auction with no reserve for a Brown and Sharpe height gauge. It looked cool from the one low resolution photo, So I bid $20 for the heck of it. So it turns out that I won that auction for $10.50 and after $160 freight they are shipping it.

The auction had no other information about it. I don't even know if it works, but from what I can gather it's quite old, and needs an external readout that's not included. From the pictures I've found of the readout it only measures three decimal places, which is fine for my hobby uses, but maybe not a great deal after the freight charge.

Has anyone used one of these, or have any information about what I've bought? I can't seam to find much of anything for information on hite-tronic gauges, except that I know B&S is usually good quality. I've found a few old auctions with just as little information, but not much else.

b82219f7-2cfe-4fe7-8432-f34ece74dbb4.jpg

Link to auction
    160.00 freight......what a rip!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like you just pissed away $170.50

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    sounds like you just pissed away $170.50
    Your probably not wrong!

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No comment on the freight charge () but there has to be a name plate you can take a picture of.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I'll find out when it gets here, It might be my new fancy coat rack with all I know about it right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very, very nice height gage but it looks like you are missing the electronics box that goes with it.
    If electrically inclined one could make your own but.....
    If nicely packed and in nice condition on the slides keep the crating and maybe try to sell it.
    Bob

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might have a bargain, you might not. Re "only measures three decimal places" those might be metric and not inches. 0.001mm = 0.00004"

Brown & Sharpe Tesa Micro-Hite Height Gage

CarbideBob might be offering good advice if it is OK.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You might have a bargain, you might not. Re "only measures three decimal places" those might be metric and not inches. 0.001mm = 0.00004"

Brown & Sharpe Tesa Micro-Hite Height Gage

CarbideBob might be offering good advice if it is OK.
    You might be right about it being metric.

here is a link to an auction for the electronics for it, it appears to be in metric mode, it would also not have any use for three digits in front of the decimal place in inch mode.

The model number for the electronics is 200-50-341

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might be right about it being metric.

here is a link to an auction for the electronics for it, it appears to be in metric mode, it would also not have any use for three digits in front of the decimal place in inch mode.

The model number for the electronics is 200-50-341
    Kinda late, but Go Ogle will FIND most of this info just as easily BEFORE yah bid as after?

Few here even NEED these goods, but even as a once-in-a-great while user, more honestly just a collector, better to go for the "all manual" versions of;

Cadillac Gage Pla-Check,

B&S Hite-i-Cator,

Starrett-Weber Digi-Chek.

"So far". I think I have enough, now? Well. short, medium and tall for-cheap was the reason!

All those ones usually need is some tedious, but simple DIY re-cal off a trustworthy set of gage blocks, good to-go thereafter, no more electrical complexity required beyond decent lighting.

CAVEAT: Pragmatism sez yah work any of these old warhorses to one if not TWO orders of magnitude less than their theoretical max.

EG; split a thou fast and easy. Don't kid yerself you'll work to splitting a hundredth of a thou. Not without a temp and particulate controlled environment and costly third-party calibration, anyway.

If yah DO need that capability in a revenoo bizness?

Look to more modern goods. Of current manufacture. With self-checking built-in. With warranty. Plus readily available third-party calibration & certification service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a very nice height gauge indeed.

Aside from a separate counter, I imagine that thing is supposed to have an air connection as well. Granite column = probable air bearing. Also very likely counterweighted, in which case you will need to be diligent about checking that part for transit damage.

If the internal scale is in functional condition I am sure you can retrofit a modern reader head, any one of the cheap single axis DRO units should do as long as they have switchable resolutions. If it's a sine wave scale you can get interpolators for those to output standard quadrature here.

I note that they have specific preamp units for old Brown and Sharpe CMMs listed there in my link. Good chance there is a similar type of scale in your height gauge.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Kinda late, but Go Ogle will FIND most of this info just as easily BEFORE yah bid as after?
    It might be more helpful if you wrote posts in plain English. Re "style" Ox does it better.