What's new
What's new

magnetic particle testing

WILLEO6709

Diamond
any good books on magnetic particle testing out there? I recently bought a tester in an online auction, and have some parts it will be useful on. I have not gotten the tester to the shop yet, waiting on the paperwork to clear for shipment.

We do 100% MPI in another dept, but unfortunately I don't know of any books on the subject. I'll ask some of the production engineers in that dept if they know of anything.

Are you talking about non-destructive testing or magnetic particle inspection?

If so, I can tell you that it needs a high amperage, low voltage power source like a welding transformer but rectified to DC current, I believe. The one used where I had some casual employment was 1000 amperes.

A wash of a water solution containing the magnetic particles is sprayed over the casting/part to be inspected and while the solution is still fluid the copper probes are brought into contact in different places over the casting.

In a darkened room under ultra-violet light the surface of the casting is examined and any surface flaws highlighted by the magnetic particle deposit concentration are marked with crayon or chalk for gouging and welding repair or closer examination by x-ray or ultrasound.

thats the deal Damien....I have a machine ( still in waiting for release paperwork to get it off a military base), Magnetic particle testing is a non destructive test...I just have never operated one. I know enough to be dangerous about them. We have some parts that get MP'd... currently outsourcing that part, but how do you really know it got done unless you do it yourself.

www.asnt.org

In the marketplace, there are general books and classroom material. This is also the certifying agency.

I was certified in my younger days, but have not maintained it. I still use handheld WFMT to look for cracking in my current profession, but just as an information look and not as a certified tech.

Be careful as you are looking for cracking and assuring none is there!

There should be residue of the test unless the parts our cleaned. WFMT will have and oily substance like it was sprayed with WD-40. Dry will leave some powder residue (usually red in our part of the world). Ask them not to clean it if you are unsure. Or witness it and pick up the general method.

www.asnt.org

In the marketplace, there are general books and classroom material. This is also the certifying agency.

I was certified in my younger days, but have not maintained it. I still use handheld WFMT to look for cracking in my current profession, but just as an information look and not as a certified tech.

Be careful as you are looking for cracking and assuring none is there!

There should be residue of the test unless the parts our cleaned. WFMT will have and oily substance like it was sprayed with WD-40. Dry will leave some powder residue (usually red in our part of the world). Ask them not to clean it if you are unsure. Or witness it and pick up the general method.

What is WFMT? I am guessing here by suggesting one of those proprietary propellant can products using primer, developer and fixer sequencing?

I must be very ill-informed because I don't understand too much of your post Metalman. If you explain in more detail I will try.

What is WFMT? I am guessing here by suggesting one of those proprietary propellant can products using primer, developer and fixer sequencing?

I must be very ill-informed because I don't understand too much of your post Metalman. If you explain in more detail I will try.

WFMT is wet fluorescent magnetic particle test. The common wet method where the particles are suspended in a bath and you use a black light to see them.

Back