What's new
What's new

Ideal "working height" for manual CMM ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean is, the ideal distance from floor to top of surface plate for an average height user. The B&S Gage 2000 I just bought came with a Lista cabinet of "desk" height... about 30 inches. CMM itself is about 12 inches to top of surface plate, including leveling feet, for total of 42 inch working height

But I'd like to use another cabinet I have that is 34 inches but worried that will be simply too tall for "comfortable" use at 46 inch work height. What say ye, ergonomic QC members ?

(and resist the temptation to say "try the taller one and see" or risk a dopeslap ;) )

Our Mitutoyo Crystas measure 28" from the floor to the top of the granite. On old model 504 is 30". -Mike
I have no idea what a "Crystas" or "504" is....is that a small manual CMM, a large DCC type or something in between ? :confused:

Reason I ask is the larger the CMM the lower the table usually (up to a point)....since they are meant for handling larger parts

Sorry, Our Crysta's are larger CMMs with the granite measuring 63" X 68" X10". The little 504s granite measures 34X36X6" roughly. The only CMM type instrument I have seen taller was a B&S machine where the probe had to be manually positioned to take touches. It was meant to be used standing up and had a very small volumetric cube. -Mike

If you went with the taller one, and it proved too tall for a shorter person you could always built a riser for the operator to work on. If you use the short one, then the too tall person ends up with a pain in the neck of back. Gary P. Hansen

I'll agree with the "bigger the plate the lower it is" theory.

The one with the CMM is about a 6' x 12' and it's probably 24" off the ground. Maybe 30" at the most (to the top of the granite). It's a B&S Scirroco unit.

I guess that would all depend on *WHO ultimately buys/uses the thing?
Not really. I want to know what other small manual CMM height to surface plate are to compare.

In that light, it just occured to me to check some brochures from IMTS and I found one on a Mitutoyo Crysta-Plus M443, which is a manual CMM, that curiously is physically larger than the B&S Gage 2000, but with less measuring range (16x16x12, as opposed to 18x20x16 on the Gage 2000) and in the brochure is a dimensions drawing which shows the height to granite top as 750mm. That's only 29 1/2 inches !! So, I guess I'd better forget going more than 42 inches as that is already taller than the "norm" I suspect.

So, I guess I'd better forget going more than 42 inches as that is already taller than the "norm" I suspect.

I have a DEA 24 X 18 X 18 manual, that's about 32" high. I have to sit down to use it properly, or to even fixture a part. I'd love the 46" height, but then I'm 6'4". For you, I'd think the 42 would be fine, the 46 would be good for low profile parts.

I have a DEA 24 X 18 X 18 manual, that's about 32" high. I have to sit down to use it properly, or to even fixture a part.
Since 30" is "dining table and desk" height, I wonder if the CMM's in that height range aren't meant for the operator to sit down anyway...no matter what the operator height ? At 32", and me at 5'9" I would have to stoop over as well if standing.

What I mean is, the ideal distance from floor to top of surface plate for an average height user. The B&S Gage 2000 I just bought came with a Lista cabinet of "desk" height... about 30 inches. CMM itself is about 12 inches to top of surface plate, including leveling feet, for total of 42 inch working height

But I'd like to use another cabinet I have that is 34 inches but worried that will be simply too tall for "comfortable" use at 46 inch work height. What say ye, ergonomic QC members ?

(and resist the temptation to say "try the taller one and see" or risk a dopeslap ;) )

We have the same machine/bench height that you have- exactly.
I have elevated the PC keyboard by 11" and the monitor by 5".
I am 6'2" and can stand at the machine or sit on a 26" seat comfortably.
My coworkers are much shorter - I really don't care whether they are comfortable or not, the midgets (physically and mentally). We also have a larger DCC B&S machine where I normally sit .

MJB

Back