What's new
What's new

Inside Groove

QC Dude

Plastic
Is there a hand held instrument, other than a caliper with an accuracy of .002in, that is reliable for measuring inside groove diameters? I need something more precise than a caliper.

Unless an inside caliper is reliable.

Probes for the cmm are costly.

Thanks. :)

Thanks all! I felt that the inside groove caliper was acceptable...it's just my associate that said "he didn't like them". To hell with him. haha

You should be able to get to within ±0.001" with a digital inside groove caliper if you use a reference ring at the approximate diameter you want to measure and apply the same measurement pressure.

There are many hand held instruments available too that can work to less than 0.002" accuracy.

My suggestion? Get a catalogue or catalogues from some of the measuring equipment manufacturers. You'll be surprised at how many options you have.

At any given time I probably have at least 10 thick catalogues handy. Mitutoyo is the best one I've seen yet as far as looking around at options goes :) Even makes for good bedtime reading if you're so inclined :D

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. We use MSC a lot and was perusing their catalog. Lot's of options. We are mostly a Mitutoyo and Brown and Sharpe shop, but are open to others. :)

Accurately measuring the distance between parallel surfaces (e.g. micrometer faces) with a radiused instrument requires a bit of care. Not a major challenge by any means, but not a fly-by either.

- Leigh

I've also used the Mueller gauges and feel they are among the very best. I found the one I used for years to be the most repeatable of any I'd used before or since.

Back