What's new
What's new

Inspection plates new or used?

Delw

Stainless
I'm thinking about getting a bigger one for inside the machines shop area. to be used for checking parts off the mills and lathes.
something like a 4'x6' or a 3'x5' obviously we will have someone come in and calibrated it.
do you guys buy used and have good luck or do you buy new, who sells new ones. what are some brands to look for in new ones. starett is a given but is there any others?

we don't run very big parts, maybe 14" long x 8" wide max, and we do have to use a angle plate to check a few also.
the smaller one in inspection room is fine but would like more table room in the shop so we dont have to keep pulling our equipment off for another job do to room.

Suggestions
thanks

I currently have a 3'x6'x1' thick grade B bought at auction... I figured it was so cheap that I could at least use it as a set up table if it was bad. Paid 300.00 for it and stand.

I also have a 3'x4' grade A plate bought from a shop that was closing. I paid 500.00 for it and it was in very, very good shape.

I had them both checked last summer and the grade A was in perfect shape and the grade B had some problems. The 3x6 had an area about 20"x20" on one end that looks like they used it for the part landing area for the crane. All dinged up and too rough to test. The rest of the area was in good shape and measured B.

IF you can check out a used plate, before buying it, you can save a lot of money over buying new. If you are in a hurry and time is money, just bite the bullet and order a new one.

I currently have a 3'x6'x1' thick grade B bought at auction... I figured it was so cheap that I could at least use it as a set up table if it was bad. Paid 300.00 for it and stand.

I also have a 3'x4' grade A plate bought from a shop that was closing. I paid 500.00 for it and it was in very, very good shape.

I had them both checked last summer and the grade A was in perfect shape and the grade B had some problems. The 3x6 had an area about 20"x20" on one end that looks like they used it for the part landing area for the crane. All dinged up and too rough to test. The rest of the area was in good shape and measured B.

IF you can check out a used plate, before buying it, you can save a lot of money over buying new. If you are in a hurry and time is money, just bite the bullet and order a new one.

Thats What I was worried about with buying a used one its going to be a hit and miss.
I need to start watching the auctions more in AZ that way I know what shop these come out of before I buy one.
The place larry posted in my opion had some good pricing for what you get. I will more than likely go that route next month.
I dont have good luck with buying used inspection equipment.

Thanks alot for that reply.

The next one I buy will be inspected a little better.... I'm going to take a 4' camel back straight edge along with feeler gauge strips... That should show up any bad areas really easily and as long as there are not any bad chips I would be satisfied. the company that checked my tables told me that even with the bad "landing area" getting the whole table back to B and even A would not be a problem on site and probably run about 1000.00 to bring the 3 x 6 up to A grade...

Good luck!

I'd locate someone who can resurface granite plates first. You'll find the reasonably sized plates- say 3x5'- are expensive for their size?
I wouldn't buy a plate unless the stand came with it, if you have to buy a stand, it may take considerable work for the guys to bring it in to spec.
I'm lucky, a good checking and resurfacing outfit is in or near Cleveland, and I think Starrett has their granite plate operation here as well.

I wish you were near by. I have a DoAll 4X5 AA with stand I'm not using....

Alas, freight would kill the deal.

I'd locate someone who can resurface granite plates first. You'll find the reasonably sized plates- say 3x5'- are expensive for their size?
I wouldn't buy a plate unless the stand came with it, if you have to buy a stand, it may take considerable work for the guys to bring it in to spec.
I'm lucky, a good checking and resurfacing outfit is in or near Cleveland, and I think Starrett has their granite plate operation here as well.

Shit, I forgot about that early last year I was talking to Washington calibration and forgot to send him a email about that.I was looking for another tool and had forgotten they surface plates.
Thanks for the reminder.
it sucks getting old.

I had looked on ebay a little and most of the plates are back east and around il, ohio michigan etc

Back