Inspection plates new or used?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default Inspection plates new or used?

    I'm thinking about getting a bigger one for inside the machines shop area. to be used for checking parts off the mills and lathes.
    something like a 4'x6' or a 3'x5' obviously we will have someone come in and calibrated it.
    do you guys buy used and have good luck or do you buy new, who sells new ones. what are some brands to look for in new ones. starett is a given but is there any others?

    we don't run very big parts, maybe 14" long x 8" wide max, and we do have to use a angle plate to check a few also.
    the smaller one in inspection room is fine but would like more table room in the shop so we dont have to keep pulling our equipment off for another job do to room.

    Suggestions
    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Temecula, Ca
    Posts
    2,557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1182
    Likes (Received)
    3369

    Default

    I would suggest calling Standridge in Santa Fe Springs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default

    Thanks Larry i'll do that

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2589
    Likes (Received)
    1957

    Default

    I currently have a 3'x6'x1' thick grade B bought at auction... I figured it was so cheap that I could at least use it as a set up table if it was bad. Paid 300.00 for it and stand.

    I also have a 3'x4' grade A plate bought from a shop that was closing. I paid 500.00 for it and it was in very, very good shape.

    I had them both checked last summer and the grade A was in perfect shape and the grade B had some problems. The 3x6 had an area about 20"x20" on one end that looks like they used it for the part landing area for the crane. All dinged up and too rough to test. The rest of the area was in good shape and measured B.

    IF you can check out a used plate, before buying it, you can save a lot of money over buying new. If you are in a hurry and time is money, just bite the bullet and order a new one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    I currently have a 3'x6'x1' thick grade B bought at auction... I figured it was so cheap that I could at least use it as a set up table if it was bad. Paid 300.00 for it and stand.

    I also have a 3'x4' grade A plate bought from a shop that was closing. I paid 500.00 for it and it was in very, very good shape.

    I had them both checked last summer and the grade A was in perfect shape and the grade B had some problems. The 3x6 had an area about 20"x20" on one end that looks like they used it for the part landing area for the crane. All dinged up and too rough to test. The rest of the area was in good shape and measured B.

    IF you can check out a used plate, before buying it, you can save a lot of money over buying new. If you are in a hurry and time is money, just bite the bullet and order a new one.
    Thats What I was worried about with buying a used one its going to be a hit and miss.
    I need to start watching the auctions more in AZ that way I know what shop these come out of before I buy one.
    The place larry posted in my opion had some good pricing for what you get. I will more than likely go that route next month.
    I dont have good luck with buying used inspection equipment.

    Thanks alot for that reply.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2589
    Likes (Received)
    1957

    Default

    The next one I buy will be inspected a little better.... I'm going to take a 4' camel back straight edge along with feeler gauge strips... That should show up any bad areas really easily and as long as there are not any bad chips I would be satisfied. the company that checked my tables told me that even with the bad "landing area" getting the whole table back to B and even A would not be a problem on site and probably run about 1000.00 to bring the 3 x 6 up to A grade...

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Cleveland
    Posts
    797
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    101

    Default

    I'd locate someone who can resurface granite plates first. You'll find the reasonably sized plates- say 3x5'- are expensive for their size?
    I wouldn't buy a plate unless the stand came with it, if you have to buy a stand, it may take considerable work for the guys to bring it in to spec.
    I'm lucky, a good checking and resurfacing outfit is in or near Cleveland, and I think Starrett has their granite plate operation here as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    6,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    681
    Likes (Received)
    2164

    Default

    I wish you were near by. I have a DoAll 4X5 AA with stand I'm not using....

    Alas, freight would kill the deal.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machinistrrt View Post
    I'd locate someone who can resurface granite plates first. You'll find the reasonably sized plates- say 3x5'- are expensive for their size?
    I wouldn't buy a plate unless the stand came with it, if you have to buy a stand, it may take considerable work for the guys to bring it in to spec.
    I'm lucky, a good checking and resurfacing outfit is in or near Cleveland, and I think Starrett has their granite plate operation here as well.
    Shit, I forgot about that early last year I was talking to Washington calibration and forgot to send him a email about that.I was looking for another tool and had forgotten they surface plates.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    it sucks getting old.

    I had looked on ebay a little and most of the plates are back east and around il, ohio michigan etc

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    I wish you were near by. I have a DoAll 4X5 AA with stand I'm not using....

    Alas, freight would kill the deal.
    Az is a nice place to Vacation

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2589
    Likes (Received)
    1957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    I wish you were near by. I have a DoAll 4X5 AA with stand I'm not using....

    Alas, freight would kill the deal.
    Could Fastenal move it? I'm waiting on a quote for about 400 lbs from Pennsylvania to Texas right now....


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •