What's new
What's new

Jacobs Collet Chuck for Optical Tooling??

rimcanyon

Diamond
This model 92 Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck’s support base has a threaded center mount, very much like optical instruments. There is a large ring on the top of the base to tighten the base down, and the base has a rubber gasket around its periphery. It also has a carrying case with handle, so it was designed to be a portable instrument, or perhaps it was to be used as a cover when not in use. It doesn’t show up in the Jacobs spindle chuck catalog Jacobs Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - Jacobs Collet Chucks | VintageMachinery.org, but after disassembly it is the model 92 with the flat back.

So I am surmising that it was designed for use as a mount for optical tooling. Can anyone confirm or if you have other theories, share?

I bought it thinking it would make a good outboard support for long bar stock for the 10EE, if used with a good tripod.

Dave

7088146A-3292-49AC-9281-EB079C56B63E.jpg

BCFF4B85-0C64-4373-95A3-EEDD9336B1A6.jpg

This model 92 Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck’s support base has a threaded center mount, very much like optical instruments. There is a large ring on the top of the base to tighten the base down, and the base has a rubber gasket around its periphery. It also has a carrying case with handle, so it was designed to be a portable instrument, or perhaps it was to be used as a cover when not in use. It doesn’t show up in the Jacobs spindle chuck catalog Jacobs Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - Jacobs Collet Chucks | VintageMachinery.org, but after disassembly it is the model 92 with the flat back.

So I am surmising that it was designed for use as a mount for optical tooling. Can anyone confirm or if you have other theories, share?

I bought it thinking it would make a good outboard support for long bar stock for the 10EE, if used with a good tripod.

Dave

View attachment 324163

View attachment 324164

Gasketed and all? Is it really "optical"? Wonder if the threads also fit one of the common dividing heads?

How about a larger-bore upgrade to a dirt-common 5C spin-indexer for tool & cutter grinding?

The Rubberflex collet itself is dead-easy to clean. The master holder not all that much harder vs threaded tail 5C.

Here are some more photos of the base, showing the mounting hole. The rubber gasket would also be part of the mounting, so I am guessing it mounted on a shelf or plate similar to a Davidson optical tooling shelf. As I said this is pure speculation. Anyone have any Jacobs catalogs that show this case? Another speculation: the cylinder on the left side of the mount is for a collet stop.

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Back