What's new
What's new

Kollmorgen K-222 autocollimator issue

Borealis

Aluminum
I recently picked up a Kollmorgen K-222 autocollimator from an auction. The horizontal axis adjustment appears to work properly. The vertical axis adjustment is stuck. My first guess was the instrument had reached a travel stop. However, looking through the eyepiece, it appears it's only 25% through the full travel--neither at one stop or the other. Even after taking off the adjustment dial, I cannot turn the screw. I use autocollimators frequently but I've never had to do repairs on one. It's a beautiful piece of optical engineering, but there seems to be no support for this instrument. I'm concerned about turning this problem in to a real can of worms making some foolish attempt at repair. Any thoughts on what's going on here and what to do about it?

Any Luck?

I recently picked up a Kollmorgen K-222 autocollimator from an auction. The horizontal axis adjustment appears to work properly. The vertical axis adjustment is stuck. My first guess was the instrument had reached a travel stop. However, looking through the eyepiece, it appears it's only 25% through the full travel--neither at one stop or the other. Even after taking off the adjustment dial, I cannot turn the screw. I use autocollimators frequently but I've never had to do repairs on one. It's a beautiful piece of optical engineering, but there seems to be no support for this instrument. I'm concerned about turning this problem in to a real can of worms making some foolish attempt at repair. Any thoughts on what's going on here and what to do about it?

HI,
I wondered if you had any luck taking apart the K222 autocollimator. I have a similar problem (have to repair a K222) but I have not been able to find anyone who can help.

Any Luck?

HI,
I wondered if you had any luck taking apart the K222 autocollimator. I have a similar problem (have to repair a K222) but I have not been able to find anyone who can help.

i just get one from ebay, the XY wheel doesnt move(the grease expired), i hope these pics can help
remove 3 screws near the eyepiece, and you can take off the whole top part, there are 2 springs which push the reticles towards XY adjusting screws, after i take it off, i realized that maybe i should remove the XY screws first, then i can use some kind of tool to toggle these springs off from reticles, it could be safer to the reticles.
_cgi-bin_mmwebwx-bin_webwxgetmsgimg__&MsgID=7041310694123776088&skey=@crypt_32e0c6bf_ec48088c4...jpg

eyepiece with XY reticle
_cgi-bin_mmwebwx-bin_webwxgetmsgimg__&MsgID=3715792855508751513&skey=@crypt_32e0c6bf_ec48088c4...jpg

then you can remove the XY screws
_cgi-bin_mmwebwx-bin_webwxgetmsgimg__&MsgID=5713354986350170794&skey=@crypt_32e0c6bf_ec48088c4...jpg

_cgi-bin_mmwebwx-bin_webwxgetmsgimg__&MsgID=2269702129076888062&skey=@crypt_32e0c6bf_ec48088c4...jpg

press the screw to from the outside, then i cleaned the grease , and lubricate it with few vaseline, it works good then.
_cgi-bin_mmwebwx-bin_webwxgetmsgimg__&MsgID=8224530843449643066&skey=@crypt_32e0c6bf_ec48088c4...jpg

Back