What's new
What's new

Looking for an Optical Comparator

jkowal

Plastic
Our shop has several older OGP's which in my opinion are junk. I am trying to find a replacement. Since we manufacture close tolerance aerospace components, quality is of the upmost importance. If Jones and Lamson were still in business, that would be my first choice however they are not. I'm looking for suggestions for comparators to check small to medium size parts primarily. Our current comparators have approximately 12" x 18" of travel. Any help is appreciated.

Buddy of mine has Scherr-Tumico, I really like it.

I've been thinking about getting a Mitutoyo, they come up on special every now and then.

Our shop has several older OGP's which in my opinion are junk. I am trying to find a replacement. Since we manufacture close tolerance aerospace components, quality is of the upmost importance. If Jones and Lamson were still in business, that would be my first choice however they are not. I'm looking for suggestions for comparators to check small to medium size parts primarily. Our current comparators have approximately 12" x 18" of travel. Any help is appreciated.

isnt that mostly electronic now ? i have seen ones with screen on computer and you could use CAD overlay or template and even draw lines with computer on magnified edges to measure stuff and of course save picture

I agree with Tom Degenhart, look into vision systems. With the availability to inspect, then print inspection reports, you may be well ahead of the squint eye operator syndrome.

We do have a vision system however due to the size of our shop we use several comparators. We also use them for tool making and stoning radii on tools. Not as desirable to do that on a vision system, in my opinion anyway.

J&L is still going. I just got off the phone with them ordering parts and a screen.

Our J&L is old and rusty, but I like the design and from what I understand, the quality, fit and finish on their new machines is really nice. They're not cheap but it's top-of-the line meterology so it's expected.

I really like a Starrett comparator paired with a Quadra Check DRO. The last one I used was a floor-standing model. the Quadra Check was really nice to use. I would say 80% of the features I used to check I did on the comparator. Wish I had one at the shop I'm at now.

Many times a comparator such as an OGP is considered "junk" because it is not serviced properly.
Most service these days is to only check the measurement accuracy and nothing else [like clean/lubricate/adjust] & stick a calibration sticker on the machine. Optics get dirty, mechanics get sticky and things wear out when the comparator is treated like an appliance. Quality managers and bean counters think they got a deal with a $150 sticker.

Tell me what model and age of OGP comparator you have,
what kind of environment it is living in
what its current condition is
Who services it? factory, rep or 3d party
Your complaints

I will help you with some corrective action as i know the OGP products well

Back