What's new
What's new

Mauser Micrometer

Eric M

Cast Iron
Does anyone out there know anything about adjusting Mauser micrometers? It's the type with a digital counter in the thimble. (I have pictures to post, but I keep getting "Invalid Thread" messages when I try to attach them.)
Any ideas about how to make this right?

Attachments

• HPIM6116.jpg
    HPIM6116.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,265
  • HPIM6117.jpg
    HPIM6117.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,660
  • HPIM6118.jpg
    HPIM6118.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,579
Last edited:
adding photos

(I have pictures to post, but I keep getting "Invalid Thread" messages when I try to attach them.)
Hi Eric,

That's a known problem with the bbs software. It only happens on the initial post in a new thread.

Submit the post, thus creating the thread, then edit that post and use the Attachment tools to add your photos.

The Attachment function requires a thread name as a target, but until you submit the first post the thread doesn't exist, so no target.

- Leigh

Eric,

First thing is to clean your anvils by drawing a piece of good paper through them while they are lightly closed. By "good" I mean something with a bit of surface finish to it like the old cotton-bearing writing and typing papers. Not something dead polished like many of today's photo printer pages. Even newsprint would be better. You want to be able to pick up barely visible bits of gunk from the anvils.

Your mic is only a few tenths an the high side and that may be all you need.

If you still need to tweak the setting, I believe it's adjusted from the back (larger screwdriver slot not seen in your pix) and tiny screwdriver slot (barely visible in your pix).

Eric,

That is a cool looking micrometer. I have several Mauser squares and vernier calipers. The squares are really massive and nicely made. Sometimes Mauser measuring tools were imported under the "George Scherr" or "Scherr-Tumico" brand names.

-DU-

Eric, I know this is a few years on, but did you figure out how to adjust the Mauser. I have two that need adjustment.

No, I put this one aside and let it be. I'll see if I can put my hands on it. If I am successful, I'll put my "how I did it" here. :)

No, I put this one aside and let it be. I'll see if I can put my hands on it. If I am successful, I'll put my "how I did it" here. :)

Hi, I'm a Bit late by a few years, but just in case anyone's still interested I have an original Mauser instruction manual which specifies how to calibrate Mauser's mechanical digital micrometers, I can write up and upload the instructions if needed

Hi, I'm a Bit late by a few years, but just in case anyone's still interested I have an original Mauser instruction manual which specifies how to calibrate Mauser's mechanical digital micrometers, I can write up and upload the instructions if needed

James, there is a subforum here that is just for uploading manuals or documentation. That would be a great place to upload those instructions. Then post a new post here with a note or link to the instructions. I am sure other people now or in the future would like to know those instructions are available. Posting them in this thread wont be as easy to search for. Thanks for participating and I am sure we can help you if you are not sure about what I mentioned.

Charles

James, there is a subforum here that is just for uploading manuals or documentation.
Charles

I know you're trying to be helpful but it might help more if you mention where that subforum is and the name. I've an idea as to which one you mean but am far from certain.

Yea sure, I'll write it up and do as Cblair said regarding uploading it to the manuals and documentation section and posting a link to it here.

-James

Please do, by all means! I still haven't done anything with this mic yet.

Hi! This is my first post on the forum. I just obtained the same Mauser micrometer from Ebay. I came here looking for help in zeroing mine, and was excited to see you had actual instructions for this rather uncommon mike.
If you have already uploaded these, I would appreciate a link. If you haven't, why not just post them here? Thanks!

Hi all, My greatest apologies for not getting around to uploading the instructions, my diabolically poor memory combined with not logging on to check notifications got the best of me!

Currently our printer has decided to stop working along with its ability to scan, so I'll manually write out all of the calibration instructions for now and upload a scan of it when it decides to work again,

The instructions are as follows;

Zero adjustment of sleeve

1. Clean the measuring faces,
2. Carefully close the measuring spindle against the anvil - Or, For measurement ranges above 25mm (1") against the standard gauge inserted. In doing so, the locking
ring must not be fixed.
3. The two threaded pins are loosened on the sleeve and then the latter may be turned, until the zero mark on the thimble coincides with a zero mark on the sleeve,

In the instructions there's a diagram of the micrometer which contains numbered detail bubbles identifying the parts to be adjusted, these numbered bubbles are also referenced in the zero adjustment instructions. When I get our printer working and can upload a scan with the diagram it should be a lot clearer if the above instructions have left you all completely baffled,

All the best,
James

Hi all, My greatest apologies for not getting around to uploading the instructions, my diabolically poor memory combined with not logging on to check notifications got the best of me!

Currently our printer has decided to stop working along with its ability to scan, so I'll manually write out all of the calibration instructions for now and upload a scan of it when it decides to work again,

2. Carefully close the measuring spindle against the anvil - Or, For measurement ranges above 25mm (1") against the standard gauge inserted. In doing so, the locking
ring must not be fixed.
3. The two threaded pins are loosened on the sleeve and then the latter may be turned, until the zero mark on the thimble coincides with a zero mark on the sleeve,

In the instructions there's a diagram of the micrometer which contains numbered detail bubbles identifying the parts to be adjusted, these numbered bubbles are also referenced in the zero adjustment instructions. When I get our printer working and can upload a scan with the diagram it should be a lot clearer if the above instructions have left you all completely baffled,

All the best,
James

Thank you, James!

ring must not be fixed.

All the best,
James
James, thank you for posting these instructions. They are quite helpful and basically correct.
However, having figured out how to fix my own Mauser digital micrometer, on my own, I believe there is a mistake in the 3rd step.

There are 2 tiny set screws on the THIMBLE, not on the sleeve, that need to be loosened. Once these are loosened, the thimble can be rotated until its 0 line aligns with the 0 on the fixed sleeve (barrel). Then just tighten the thimble set screws. (One of these two thimble set screws is visible in the OP's right most photo at the start of this thread)

As far as the locknut is concerned, it doesn't seem to make a difference, whether it is locked or not. The spindle is non-rotating, and isn't accidentally going to move. (In fact, why do they include a lock nut on this mike? For example, the Mitutoyo 106-102 and the 169-103, both with non-rotating spindles, have no lock nut option.)

The 2 larger screws on the fixed sleeve can be used to adjust your feel preference for movement of the spindle. Again, this is a non-rotating spindle; so it shouldn't need adjustment for wear purposes.

Additional observations:
I must say that besides the surprise that this Mauser has a non-rotating spindle, I was surprised by this mike's size and weight.
This mike was built like a German tank (or maybe a canon), with a large diameter thimble, spaced out easy to read vernier graduations, large diameter carbide measuring faces, and a giant lock nut. (Could an old German arms manufacturer have built a micrometer in any other way?)

In fact, I would say the build quality of this Mauser is probably the best of any micrometer I have ever handled, even though it would be a bit too hefty for some people. It, in some ways, reminds me of the heavier, high build quality build of my Etalon 23C and Etalon MicroRapid, even down to their smooth feel.
Perhaps, these shared qualities are no coincidence since the unprofitable Mauser mike division was eventually sold to Roche, which later made Etalon. Of course Roche was bought by Tesa/Brown Sharpe only to be bought by the Hexagon group.

Again, thank you, James, for reopening this old thread. While these scarce, largely unknown Mauser micrometers aren't on everyone's wish list, it's important to have this kind information available to the collector community. As long as there is interest in owning vintage tools, these tools, even the scarce ones, will change hands. Fortunately, there is the Practical Machinist for a new owner, like me, where he can share, learn, and appreciate more what he just aquired.

No problem guys,

In regards to the miss-wording in the third step, Your quite right! The instructions I've written are a word for word copy from the original Mauser instruction leaflet that came with my mic, Looks like they couldn't decide what to call the thimble, though it could also be an accidental miss-translation. Nevertheless, still much better than some manuals you get with the lovely, "Quality import" tooling.

I also wanted to ask all of you with Mauser micrometers using the same mechanical digit head, whether it feels smooth on rotation. While rotating both of mine I feel a slight tightness when the counter turns over all of the 3 or 4 digits at once, although it then becomes smooth again after turning the counter over onto the next "set" of digits. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this, and whether to consider it "the norm," or to start, carefully, taking things apart ;)

Enjoy the weather,
- James

Back