Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No problem guys,

In regards to the miss-wording in the third step, Your quite right! The instructions I've written are a word for word copy from the original Mauser instruction leaflet that came with my mic, Looks like they couldn't decide what to call the thimble, though it could also be an accidental miss-translation. Nevertheless, still much better than some manuals you get with the lovely, "Quality import" tooling.

I also wanted to ask all of you with Mauser micrometers using the same mechanical digit head, whether it feels smooth on rotation. While rotating both of mine I feel a slight tightness when the counter turns over all of the 3 or 4 digits at once, although it then becomes smooth again after turning the counter over onto the next "set" of digits. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this, and whether to consider it "the norm," or to start, carefully, taking things apart

Enjoy the weather,
    - James

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DJames View Post
    No problem guys,

In regards to the miss-wording in the third step, Your quite right! The instructions I've written are a word for word copy from the original Mauser instruction leaflet that came with my mic, Looks like they couldn't decide what to call the thimble, though it could also be an accidental miss-translation. Nevertheless, still much better than some manuals you get with the lovely, "Quality import" tooling.

I also wanted to ask all of you with Mauser micrometers using the same mechanical digit head, whether it feels smooth on rotation. While rotating both of mine I feel a slight tightness when the counter turns over all of the 3 or 4 digits at once, although it then becomes smooth again after turning the counter over onto the next "set" of digits. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this, and whether to consider it "the norm," or to start, carefully, taking things apart

Enjoy the weather,
    - James
    My Mauser mechanical digitital micrometer operates very smoothly and quietly as the digits turn over. My only problem with my counter is that when it turns over to 1.000 inches, the 1 digit doesn't quite make it into full view. (That's no big deal for me, because the mike is spot on with a 1.000 inch standard.)

If you only noticed the lack of smoothness following the zeroing procedure, my guess is the thimble may be pressing against the end of barrel a bit too much. Loosen the two screws on the thimble and back it outward away from the end of barrel (sleeve) a tiny bit but not too much (there shouldn't be a visible gap between thimble and barrel). Recheck your zeroing and then tighten the screws. Hopefully, that will make a difference.
    Last edited by wtwieder; 08-02-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

somewhat related.. i've got a .0001 digital mauser 0-1 mic that i absolutely love.
    i've got dozens of digi mics of varying size and purpose but something about that mauser and the beautiful wood box it came in that just gets me every time. accuracy, ease of use, the thimble feel, how well balanced in hand, fit & finish, etc.
    they definitely make some nice stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard machine View Post
    somewhat related.. i've got a .0001 digital mauser 0-1 mic that i absolutely love.
    i've got dozens of digi mics of varying size and purpose but something about that mauser and the beautiful wood box it came in that just gets me every time. accuracy, ease of use, the thimble feel, how well balanced in hand, fit & finish, etc.
    they definitely make some nice stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could you post a picture of your mic and the box it came in? Thanks!

5. Likes wtwieder liked this post