What's new
What's new

Metric Vs Imperial Bolts

You can thread a 10-32 into a M5x.8 threaded hole, but it's rather loose. If we had 5/16-20 bolts you could probably thread a M8x1.25 nut on it. I think you may need to explain what you are trying to accomplish and why if you are wanting more useful answers .

1.Buy metric bolts where the minor diameter of the thread is larger than the Major Diameter of the Imperial bolts you need.
2. Turn the metric bolt bodies down to the Major Diameter you need.
3. Thread the turned-down bolts with the Imperial thread you need.
4. Optional: Mill the heads of the bolts to the proper size for the Imperial thread you used.

What is the best way to convert imperial bolts to metric sizes?

I sprinkle them with Holy Water and wave a Bible around them. No, wait - that's when they're stuck.

For conversion I find that Iron Maidens and other forms of encouragement work best, but you need ear protection to block out the screams [this works for both torture AND concerts, by the way].

to continue Millands line of though, if you want them to convert on their own, then burning some at the stake to set an example might persuade others to follow, but the result is not guaranteed and unexpected consequences might follow even if the conversion was successful at first glance

or you can just go and buy the corresponding metric bolts, drill out existing thread and helicoil, timecert or similar to the desired metric thread

That conversion would be pure blasphemy. You will rot in purgatory, forever walking uphill between the equipment you are repairing and the toolbox, always with the wrong measurement system wrench.

We need more context. The question you asked is generally ridiculous unless the bolts are huge or made out of some precious metal or have some propietary head geometry that would otherwise make it cost prohibitive to just scrap them and buy new.

Please let us know what type of bolts you have, what the intended purpose is, and the quantity. That is if you really want reasonable answers.

Best Regards,
Bob

If you just google metric thread charts and imperial thread charts, you should be able to get all the sizes you need from there. You can also just use google to convert inches to mm and vice versa for you.

What the frick is going on here? Forum is over run!
How do I mill?
How do I tap a thread?
How do I wipe my arse?
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can get like 20 clowns in a Prius, imagine a bus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We need more context. The question you asked is generally ridiculous unless the bolts are huge or made out of some precious metal or have some propietary head geometry that would otherwise make it cost prohibitive to just scrap them and buy new.

Please let us know what type of bolts you have, what the intended purpose is, and the quantity. That is if you really want reasonable answers.

Best Regards,
Bob

Now just hold on a minute! No sensible answers allowed on this thread! :D

(I'm sure there is an appropriate Far Side comic that would fit here...)

Back