What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo 126 series thread mic anvil

Frizzen

Aluminum
I just picked up a used mic with several anvils. This is probably a simple question for most of you but one of them is a mystery to me, can’t seam to find what it’s use is.

It is marked M3-K. It is wedge shaped with a flat tip and does fit the mic.

Everything else makes sense to me, they are marked with the C or V.

This is a guess on my part.

MEASURING INSTRUMENTS CATALOG No.E216

Mitutoyo made interchangeable anvil screw thread micrometers in the 326 and 126 series, with the individual anvil part number starting with 126. They also make an interchangeable anvil Universal Micrometer with various anvil designs available with a 116 start to the part number. The also make screw thread anvils in this series, with the 116 starting the part number. The catalog does not say how they are marked.

Have you measured the angle it is ground? Perhaps you have the survivor of special order pair for measuring gear teeth, a worm profile, or some other special feature.

This is a guess on my part.

MEASURING INSTRUMENTS CATALOG No.E216

Mitutoyo made interchangeable anvil screw thread micrometers in the 326 and 126 series, with the individual anvil part number starting with 126. They also make an interchangeable anvil Universal Micrometer with various anvil designs available with a 116 start to the part number. The also make screw thread anvils in this series, with the 116 starting the part number. The catalog does not say how they are marked.

Have you measured the angle it is ground? Perhaps you have the survivor of special order pair for measuring gear teeth, a worm profile, or some other special feature.

I could add, depending on the angle, inserts for a 2 start thread. That'd require a setting master though. Gear measurement looks about your best bet.

Attachments

• Mit126.jpg
    Mit126.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 255
One of the annoying things I've found with these insert type micrometers is that each brand seems to have their own diameter hole.

Same with micrometer spindle diameters. These come in 3 "standard" diameters. 1/4" (6.35mm), 5/16" (8mm) and a couple have decided to go with 6.5mm :eek:

In my "metric world" the 6.35mm one almost always means that 1 revolution is 0.5mm while an 8mm one means 1mm per revolution and that can simplify reading.

The anvil is for a Mitutoyo "Pana-mike" -- as J.R. Thiele suggested. Anvils between that and the Mitutoyo threads mics will interchange.

…. as J.R. Thiele suggested. Anvils between that and the Mitutoyo threads mics will interchange.

I certainly hope they would but why micrometer manufacturers can't agree on a "standard" diameter hole is frustrating.

Anyone any idea as to who was the first one to use holes in spindles for inserts?

With respect to anvil diameter, just under 3.5mm is pretty common. B&S, Tesa, Mahr, Mauser, Mitutoyo, PAV, Toolmex, VIS Poland, and some USSR mics are in that range. Tolerances are such that some are a loose fit and others a tight slip fit. As for retention, some have small circlip sort of retainers, others split ends, etc.

Feinmess, Mauser, and Nippon Seisoku are at or just under 4mm. The cheap Chinese mics will often use 5mm diameter anvils.

Length is another issue -- some anvils are longer or shorter and in switching anvils to another brand mic there may not be enough adjustment range.

Thanks everyone. I see it now in a picture of a Pana Mike box. Listed as a 24-14 TPI. In my box lid is a note that says it’s for 14-10, didn’t see this before asking the question. It seams to work for both but is hard to calibrate. If you don’t get it down into the v of the other anvil it measures small by .005-.006. Be nice if Mitutoyo would reference the number in the box to their part number. But....that’s pretty minor in the bigger scheme of things! Again, thanks for clearing this up for me.

Thanks everyone. I see it now in a picture of a Pana Mike box. Listed as a 24-14 TPI. In my box lid is a note that says it’s for 14-10, didn’t see this before asking the question. It seams to work for both but is hard to calibrate. If you don’t get it down into the v of the other anvil it measures small by .005-.006. Be nice if Mitutoyo would reference the number in the box to their part number. But....that’s pretty minor in the bigger scheme of things! Again, thanks for clearing this up for me.

What you show in your post ¤4 aren't thread anvils. If they are then you only seem to have the "male" part and a "female" part is necessary. What you do have could be used for gears and/or 2 start threads.

What you've "picked up" isn't complete.

Thanks Gordon,

You are probably correct in this but the anvil is marked M3-K. There is included an anvil marked M3-V with this mike. Below is a picture I took off eBay of a Pana Mike box. The way I saw it, I may be wrong though, the M3-K and V are a set for measuring threads. This is why, along with the note in the box, I tried it as thread measuring anvils...but it is a pain to use so won't be using it any way at this point.

Just for clarification, the set came with 10 anvils all the rest are correct for this mike except this one that we are discussing.

Bob

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Gordon,

You are probably correct in this but the anvil is marked M3-K. There is included an anvil marked M3-V with this mike. Below is a picture I took off eBay of a Pana Mike box. The way I saw it, I may be wrong though, the M3-K and V are a set for measuring threads. This is why, along with the note in the box, I tried it as thread measuring anvils...but it is a pain to use so won't be using it any way at this point.

Just for clarification, the set came with 10 anvils all the rest are correct for this mike except this one that we are discussing.

Bob

View attachment 236215

Your picture certainly helps. Got a feeling though that it's a very old old set. You've probably done so but if you put each of the inserts you have in their correct holes then you can see how many correct pairs you have.

As far as Whitworth (55º) goes then the pitches of 28. 19, 14 and 11 TPI are the most used world wide for pipe threads. American pipe threads (NP and 60º) are 27, 18, 14, 11½ and 8 TPI.

I'm not sure why you find it a pain to use. Chances are you're not doing something right :(

using a thread micromete - YouTube

When I wrote it was an expensive way to measure threads I meant the micrometer, not the inserts. Of course over 25mm/1" you need a setting master too but only one for each 25mm/1" jump.

All single insert pairs cost here around $80 and a set as shown around $430.

Attachments

• Mit126.8.jpg
    Mit126.8.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 182
With respect to anvil diameter, just under 3.5mm is pretty common. B&S, Tesa, Mahr, Mauser, Mitutoyo, PAV, Toolmex, VIS Poland, and some USSR mics are in that range.

If you have a Mitutoyo thread insert could you measure the "exact" diameter on one for me?

In this case "exact" means to within 0.0002". mm is of course better :)

BTW VIS Poland stopped manufacturing around 20 years ago. I've been there twice. From my first to second visit (within less than a month) was the time they knocked 4 zeros (0000) off their currency. Zloty.

Polish z& - Wikipedia

I've still got a couple of their (excellent) digital calipers with Sylvac electronics.

If you have a Mitutoyo thread insert could you measure the "exact" diameter on one for me . . ..

The Mitutoyo anvils I have (didn't measure them all) range from 3.485 to 3.492mm in diameter. Years ago I measured a dozen (well, 15) brands to see which might interchange.

Just to add on the PanaMike's -- these have a non-rotating spindle and so can be fitted with anvils to be readily used as groove mics as well as thread measuring, disc and point mics, and the like. It's a pretty nice system - accurate and flexible. The standard Mitutoyo thread mics have a rotating spindle.

The Toolmex anvils are also discontinued -- and probably were sourced from Poland like the "VIS." I mention them just in case someone comes across them used -- they can often be used to complete a set that uses 3.5mm- anvils.

We've discussed this before, but I think a thread micrometer is a convenient and practical way to quickly measure thread diameters, whether it's some unknown thread or aiming to cut one on the lathe.

1. The Mitutoyo anvils I have (didn't measure them all) range from 3.485 to 3.492mm in diameter. Years ago I measured a dozen (well, 15) brands to see which might interchange.

2. We've discussed this before, but I think a thread micrometer is a convenient and practical way to quickly measure thread diameters, whether it's some unknown thread or aiming to cut one on the lathe.

ad 1. Thanks. Just what I needed to know.

ad 2. Yes we have. I can see one problem with your ""....to quickly measure thread diameters, whether it's some unknown thread….". What if it isn't a 60º thread? It could be a 55º Whitworth although they are only still common on metric pipe threads. Micrometer thread inserts are for specific thread flank angle.

The reason I asked about the insert diameter was because I got an idea and now I'll try and see if it works.

It is annoying that the micrometer spindle turns so best with the V on the stationary anvil and hold against the thread while turning.

Easy enough to check the angle if one suspects (or even if not) a Whitworth thread -- and Mitutoyo has a complete series of Whitworth anvils for those that need them.

Most everyone owns a 60 deg. thread gage -- just insert in thread and take a look under a magnifier. A stereo scope if it's a really tiny thread.

The mike, using the anvils with the 60 degree cone and the appropriate V anvil is very easy to use and calibrate or zero to each set. All 10 of the anvil that came with the set are marked on their body with the number that matches on the box. My box has no M3-K number. The only box I have seen with that number is the Pana mike box.

My 5 sets of anvils all look like those in your attachment except the one we are discussing. I have the 801, 802, 2-sets of 803(don’t know why) and the Set we’ve been discussing with the K. Yes I will fill the set out (not the witworth) and probably peddle the duplicate set.

I paid right at $100 less than the new mike in your attachment with the 5 sets of anvils. The mike and anvils are very clean and work great. Don’t think it was a bad buy.

Back