What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo 8" Digital Caliper Battery Cover "Fix"

gatz

Cast Iron
This is NOT a cure-all for the dreaded Battery Cover problem on the Mitutoyo 505 Series, but it may help those who've had problems with the cover not staying on.
(If yours is missing, this won't help at all ...lol)

The Battery Cover on my 8" Mitutoyo Calipers had lost an ear (I guess) and would not stay closed without some ugly Scotch tape on it.

I noticed that the threaded hole where the screw that holds the thumb-wheel assembly from the back side is an embedded brass piece also accessible from the same side as the Battery Cover.
A 1/6" drill bit will pass through the insert without harm and if the Cover is held in position will transfer drill through the Battery Cover. Just be careful not to drill into or through your own appendage; as that's not part of the procedure!

Open up the hole in the Cover for clearance with 2mm, ~ .O80 (#45 drill works)
A little cleaning and leveling up of the top surface for the head of the screw with a Dremel and it's ready to go.

Biggest problem you'll probably encounter; finding a 2mm - 0.25 x 4mm long screw. But, that may be less costly than buying a new Battery Cover.
Fortunately, I found one in my "Metric Screws" stash.

Mit 505 Battery Cover_1.jpg Mit 505 Battery Cover_2.jpg Mit 505 Battery Cover_3.jpg Mit 505 Battery Cover_4.jpg

Back