What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Digital Height Gauge Display Not Changing

ShopRatCNC

Plastic
Greeting,

I just retired and was hired to teach FT CNC classes at our local community college. Unfortunately, the shop has not been taken care of. The Mitutoyo digital height gauge was dead so I replaced the batteries, now the display comes on all zero's but will not change when moved. The inch to MM changes. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Greeting,

I just retired and was hired to teach FT CNC classes at our local community college. Unfortunately, the shop has not been taken care of. The Mitutoyo digital height gauge was dead so I replaced the batteries, now the display comes on all zero's but will not change when moved. The inch to MM changes. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Send it to Mitutoyo. If they can't fix it you get a new one for half price.

Some Mits devices will not read movement until you press the zero button once the battery has died. They will happily change metric to inch but read 0 as they light up in number hold mode.
Bad counting usually gives a error code on the display in which case a repair or disposal is needed.
With the model number you can search for a manual.
Bob

Thanks both of you for the replys. Will look for a manual on line.

Thanks, Paul

What model is it?

I'm not standing in front of it, but if it is a bit older, and a dual column style that has teeth that run the height of it, I can think of two things to look at (if you're willing to dig in to it)

One, on the older black faced models, (the one I am thinking of is similar to 192-607 but not that one, I can't find the correct model number) , there is actually an access panel behind the sticker on the front of it. there are 3 or 4 pots that you can adjust. We had one with the same issue as yours, and ticking one of those pots made it work again.

CAREFUL! if you go tweaking it, do them one at a time, and track how much you are moving them. Put a mark on it with a sharpie so you can put it back to how you found it. I would move 1/4 turn at a time, and move it back if it had no effect, then move on to the next one. I remember one had an effect on the darkness of the LCD, one would effect how it reads the encoder, and the other one(s) didn't seem to have an effect.

Otherwise, the encoder itself might just be dead. I think they can be had online somewhere. I've never replaced one myself. The encoder rides on the teeth of the finer rack of teeth. I suppose it is even possible that it is out of adjustment and simply not turning. Make sure the racks are clean.

Send it to Mitutoyo. If they can't fix it you get a new one for half price.

Unfortunately that is not the case. They make it out to sound really attractive, but its not.

I had an older Mitutoyo 12" dual beam. It started skipping. They said send it in and we will see if we can fix it - will give you a price. If not then 25% off a replacement.

Sent it in and they come back and said its obsolete (knew that as we discussed that up front). Gave me a price somewhere around $120 to see if they can fix it - not refundable. WTH? The discussion up front was that the quote for repair would be free.

Said just replace it. The 25% off price was more than what I could buy it from vendors including Transcat (buy quite a bit from them). WTH? They ended up knocking off an additional 10% and I went for it, but the experience really soured me on Mitutoyo repair services.

Unfortunately that is not the case. They make it out to sound really attractive, but its not.

I had an older Mitutoyo 12" dual beam. It started skipping. They said send it in and we will see if we can fix it - will give you a price. If not then 25% off a replacement.

Sent it in and they come back and said its obsolete (knew that as we discussed that up front). Gave me a price somewhere around $120 to see if they can fix it - not refundable. WTH? The discussion up front was that the quote for repair would be free.

Said just replace it. The 25% off price was more than what I could buy it from vendors including Transcat (buy quite a bit from them). WTH? They ended up knocking off an additional 10% and I went for it, but the experience really soured me on Mitutoyo repair services.

Just relating my experience. They replaced a caliper I bought in 1988 for half price.

Greeting,
I am the OP, had time today so I decide to take face off as some had suggested, was only held on with one screw so someone has had it apart in the past. I pulled cover off slowly and peeked inside, I saw a ribbon calbe was not connected. So I poked around util I figured where it plugged in, and lo and behold it now works great. I r a genuis. Thanks for all suggestions and comments, Paul

Back