What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo digital micrometer won't zero

Green Rabbit

Aluminum
I have a 293-340 series Mitutoyo micrometer, and it started blinking dashes, like it lost the origin, and after few days (I didn't touch it) went blank. So I replaced the battery (turned out the old one leaked, not much mess, cleaned out fine, no rust)
However, with the new battery the micrometer won't zero. It keeps blinking dashes and does not react on the "Origin" button. No error code, nothing, just blinking dashes in all the numerical registers on LCD. The battery seems fine (a voltmeter reads 1.59v).
The micrometer was barely used but out of warranty already.
Any idea what could be wrong? Faulty button? I'm fairly comfortable opening it up for repair if needed

This is not helping unfortunately. I tried to apply quite a bit of force, short of breaking the thing, and held for up to 30 or so seconds. Nothing, it keeps flashing

Try zero? I've never had one not work

You mean, the "zero/abs" button? Same, it does not react to it. The buttons do give positive click feedback when pressed. I also opened the front cover to access the board and contacts - it's clean, no dirt, loose parts, any other visible problems. Reassembled and it's still the same

Maybe fumes got it. As above, the contacts need to be cleaned properly. Search, but I think it's a 50/50 mix of vinegar or lemon juice and water. If there's moisture in it, leave it open and dry it out. I've never had one apart (never seen one fail) but you might have to do a deeper cleaning and drying.

So I made it work! Not entirely clear what the problem was, but most likely it was fumes or humidity issue. I let the micrometer to sit overnight with the battery cover open in a sealed bag with a desiccant, and after I inserted a fresh battery it zeroed like it should! I thought it was a battery in the beginning, but then tried the old battery, and it also worked. So not counting magic, I can only suspect some vapors that got inside...

So I made it work! Not entirely clear what the problem was, but most likely it was fumes or humidity issue. I let the micrometer to sit overnight with the battery cover open in a sealed bag with a desiccant, and after I inserted a fresh battery it zeroed like it should! I thought it was a battery in the beginning, but then tried the old battery, and it also worked. So not counting magic, I can only suspect some vapors that got inside...

You stumbled onto the near-mythical "smoke emission reversal procedure". Had you been watching closely the entire time, you MAY have seen small tendrils of gray vapor being pulled back into the unit. Skeptics attribute such reversals to operator error or dumb luck, but true believers continue to look for the day when ALL smoke emitted from electronics can be returned to the device from which it came.

Or it was what you said. :D Glad you got it working.

You stumbled onto the near-mythical "smoke emission reversal procedure". Had you been watching closely the entire time, you MAY have seen small tendrils of gray vapor being pulled back into the unit.

Don't let the British find out about this! If Lucas gets hold of this technology they'll create a true perpetual motion process and rule the world!

Don't let the British find out about this! If Lucas gets hold of this technology they'll create a true perpetual motion process and rule the world!

Isn't "Lucas" now owned by ZF?
Weird how they went from a marketplace big boy to a customer considered unreliable brand but kept on.
Lessons to be learned in market dominance, branding and customer satisfaction.
Bob

Back