What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo digital micrometers in a job shop

Zach1800

Plastic
I've been working in a fast paced job shop for many years and I'm thinking about upgrading some of my mics and calipers. Mostly used vernier mics and dial calipers in the past but as they go bad I'm thinking of buying mitutoyo coolant proof calipers in a couple of different lengths and a set of either the digimatic or quantumike mics. I've looked for reviews online and I'm not finding a whole lot as to whether these digital tools hold up long term or are suitable in manual/cnc job shop conditions. Is there anyone who has experience with these tools firsthand in a sometimes quick and dirty job shop?

I've got a Mitutoyo 0-1" digital mic ("QuantuMike"), Model 293-185, IP65 rated. A couple of the guys on the floor have the same. The rest are all manual with a couple of old exceptions.

It's held up perfectly fine for me in Quality, but my use is relatively light, and in a cleaner environment. The fellows at the 5-axis Mill use one or two, and they like them.

Older digital mics (one or two) that have been floating around the shop for a great many years still work, surprisingly, even though they look like a 5 year old has been beating on them with a hammer. These are older Mitutoyo digitals.

Generally speaking they are rugged. But this is all subjective I guess. Some people could break about anything they are so talented.

Go get one and test drive it in your environment. They aren't that expensive anymore IMO, and accurate.

Like any measuring instrument treat them with respect. I have a 6" Mitt that is over ten years old, been thru three batteries in that time and works perfect.

The digimatics work fine in a jobshop environment. I've had mine for over 10 years now and only needed to replace batteries. The digital calipers will do just as well. If you want to be slick, order the carbide jaw calipers, I've worn the anvil point areas in under 2 years. I still use them just not for that area of the surface.

I dont have any experience with them in a job shop environment, but we run them doing production in some areas that get petty dirty working with cast iron and they hold up well from eveything that I can see

There is a durability issue, a Mits digital caliper and 0-1 digital mic I have stopped working, they were bought in 1986, very dissapointed:)

There is a durability issue, a Mits digital caliper and 0-1 digital mic I have stopped working, they were bought in 1986, very dissapointed:)

Disgusting. That's the problem with digital tools, they're made to be obsolete in 3(0) years.

Thanks for the input I like to take care of my tools as much as the next guy I have constant deadlines on big jobs to meet and meanwhile farmers, food processors, you name it are walking in the door daily broke down begging to get their equipment fixed right away. It's hard to keep things clean and pristine when your running and gunning all day even though I try. The only digital tools I've owned are the cheaper Chinese calipers and they seem to last a year at best I wasn't sure if mitutoyo would be able to handle that kind of abuse and still last long enough to make them worth buying.

Have had Mitutoyo coolant proof 6" since I graduated trade school in 2008 they still work perfectly. Also have 0-1 mics, 0-1 pin mics, and 8" calipers. Haven't done anything other than change a few batteries.

That being said, being busy is no excuse to mistreat tools. I have a strict rule that if it's not in my hand it's in it's case.

I fondly remember working for a company where all the press brake guys used digital Mitutoyos. They somehow didn't break them, which is amazing considering how terribly those guys treated everything. Everything is in spec if you just squeeze the calipers hard enough, and anything is 16 gauge with enough torque on the micrometer screw...

Back