What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo Height Gage. New

zr1nsx

Aluminum
When I started my Tool and Die Making apprenticeship in the late 70's, these were about the most accurate measuring tool around. I used them quite often when precision grinding tools and gages when .0001 was required across all features. I ran across a brand new unit that has never been out of the box and was quite happy to acquire it. Over time, I came to the realization that I rarely need to hold this tolerance level, and if I do, a good gage block set is readily available. With that in mind I thought I would sell this. Have been quite shocked that no one has responded to any advertisement for it? I guess that it is just "old" tech now that CMM's are so common. If anyone here is interested in this tool, or perhaps a trade of some other interesting item, let me know. I realize this isn't the "for sale" section. I may just end up putting this thing in my trophy case.

Attachments

• Mitotoyo New in box.jpg
    Mitotoyo New in box.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Mitutoyo Height Gage.jpg
    Mitutoyo Height Gage.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 152
I had one very similar to yours and had a hard time finding the right person who wanted it. RJ Newbould and I ended up making a trade for it. Yours is in the box and much newer than mine was, maybe you'll have better luck. Seemed like only a company could afford such a tool and they couldn't risk buying "used".

Last edited:
He's got it in for sale at $850. Probably why it's getting crickets. Some people still use the old school stuff but not the high-falutin' shops with lots of dollars to spend. Those guys have the latest greatest fancypants gear - they don't want old school stuff.

Yes, eKretz is correct in what I was hoping for. I can move off of that price, but not too much? As I stated at the beginning of this post, today's technology is so far advanced from what I grew up with. If I was still surface grinding 10 hrs, a day on the Brown & Sharp visual grinder, I'd be happy to use this thing daily, but that isn't happening anymore. At some point in the not too distant future, I'll retire and look at this tool in a display case and remember the good ole days. LOL. Multiply the high bid X 3 and we're getting closer. These were over 3K when new. I realize it's never going to fetch too much, but for $200 I'm content to look at it and realize I shouldn't have bought it to begin with. Thanks for all of the comments.

Or, set bore gages. I have seen people stick a gage block in there.

Not sure on Mitutoyo or similar. These are like stacked gauge blocks set at alternating right and left rotation so each juncture provides an up and a down facing surface. I can see the attraction of setting bore gauges between the surface plate and a dialed in height and these aren't as handy that way. OTOH, it may not be a significant limitation. A three contact bore gauge still needs a ring to calibrate it and two contacts could be set with a micrometer. You'd probably have to wedge a gauge block in to get that stick-out surface.

It's a 1" gage block on the starrett, and I believe the mitutoyo is the same. Fits in any of the pockets. This one is mine, but a guy on the floor has the mitutoyo and I like how easy it is to calibrate compared to the starrett.
3191c586109bdc59dfaae4f35732bab8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, eKretz is correct in what I was hoping for. I can move off of that price, but not too much? As I stated at the beginning of this post, today's technology is so far advanced from what I grew up with. If I was still surface grinding 10 hrs, a day on the Brown & Sharp visual grinder, I'd be happy to use this thing daily, but that isn't happening anymore. At some point in the not too distant future, I'll retire and look at this tool in a display case and remember the good ole days. LOL. Multiply the high bid X 3 and we're getting closer. These were over 3K when new. I realize it's never going to fetch too much, but for $200 I'm content to look at it and realize I shouldn't have bought it to begin with. Thanks for all of the comments.

Thats a really good price.
I'd be interested in it if you were in AZ,my problem with buying gages is they have to be certified. ive gotten a lot of junk that was supposedly in perfect shape. and also have had them damaged in freight.
I am think this is why your having a problem selling cause someone wants to check it out before buying it.
so I generally buy new on inspection equipment

Back