What's new
What's new

mitutoyo indicator fix

i bought a used mitutoyo 1410s indicator. the needle stops at around 7 o'clock. is there any way to get it back to 12 o'clock??

Do you mean that with the indicator point not touching anything, the pointer comes to a stop at the 7:00 position?

The bezel of most indicators can be rotated so the 7:00 and 12:00 positions are only relative.

I'm probably seriously misunderstanding your difficulty, because I would do one of two things - use whatever mechanical adjustment there is for the indicator's position to gradually push the point until the needle reaches 12:00 OR just adjust the indicator position until the needle has move roughly half a revolution, then turn the dial bezel to meet the needle.

Typically the hand is set into final position after the main spring tension is set. More than likely the indicator has been dropped at some point and the mainspring pre-tension has been lost. I wouldn't use the indicator for anything until it's been repaired and calibrated.

the indicator always returns the hand to 7 o'clock; but, i want the hand at 12 o'clock. i paid $40.00 for the indicator. repairs are $100.00+-. i have another 1410 that is trash; maybe i'll play with it to see if i can move the hand

As Holescreek says, just remove the bezel and crystal, pry off the hand, and put it wherever you want.

I still don't see how it's important. Yes, if I'm looking at an indicator I might want the hand straight up at zero, but I either adjust the indicator to get the hand where I want, or rotate the dial to match the hand.

But your tool to do what you like.

This is typically intentional. If it ended at 0 you would have no way of knowing if a 0 reading was off range and invalid, or actually reading 0. I think the default position is closer to 9 o'clock than 7 though, so I also share a concern that it has been dropped.

As above, there is not an indexing feature on the needle, so you could just carefully remove it and re-install at the position you want. Note that there is a second smaller dial to count turns. This smaller dial should cross 0 at the same time the larger needle passes 12, although it's your tool so you can do whatever works best for your situation.

Moving the hand isn't the point, a $4 hand puller from Ebay is the smartest method. The problem with loosing the mainspring tension preset is that the repeatability is at best, suspect. I've worked on hundreds of indicators and calibrated them afterwards. It's especially prominent when you change measuring directions. If you don't care about accuracy or repeatability, pull the hand and point it wherever you want it.

Back