Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mitutoyo vs. Mahr height stands

Now at a place developing optical systems. We have a CMM, but it's often backed up and we're still getting the operators up to speed on general metrology. As a result we've been doing a lot of manual layout. Parts are inconvenient to ship, and we typically want same day measurements, so we haven't been utilizing outside inspection houses much lately. Parts range near 0 to 350 mm (14"). Our current height stand (Mitutoyo Series 192) doesn't have the desired resolution much less accuracy, so I've been attaching it to an Interapid indicator and using it as a transfer stand to stacks of gauge blocks. This is pretty tedious, so I'd like a faster way. Company policy makes buying used equipment difficult, so assume whatever we get needs to be new.

I thought about getting a height master (Mit. 515-322 and a riser block) to transfer to instead of gauge blocks, but think a better height stand will save enough more time to justify the increased cost.

I have experience with Mahr height stands from a past job (816 CL). They did well, but I only used them to measure small (<30 mm) heights, not to locate holes, larger diameters, etc.

I'm debating between a Mahr 817 CLM and Mitutoyo LH-600E (or EG).

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or a third recommendation I should look at?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only one Ive used was the Fowler Sylvac...... the thing was sweet.

54-931-450-0 Hi CAL Fowler Sylvac Height Gage 17.5"/450mm

3. Likes RJT liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I'd do was phone a few suppliers for brochures and information on the various types. Tell them what you want as well as what you want to use it for.

After that then a price comparison + gut feeling. Some suppliers are more helpful than others.

I doubt if many (any?) have had several types to compare each other with so you'll only be told what they think of what they have or have had.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    What I'd do was phone a few suppliers for brochures and information on the various types. Tell them what you want as well as what you want to use it for.

After that then a price comparison + gut feeling. Some suppliers are more helpful than others.

I doubt if many (any?) have had several types to compare each other with so you'll only be told what they think of what they have or have had.
    Agreed that the odds are low. If anything I might find someone who used one at one employer, and another at a different employer, or someone who had a particular annoyance with one. From the spec. sheet it looks like the Mitutoyo model is a bit better, and pricing is comparable but the places I've been have always used the Mahr. Then again from the spec. sheet a BesTest 0.00005" test indicator should be better than a 0.0001" Interapid, but experience tells me the Interapid is a bit smoother which sometimes helps.

The spec. sheets are decent and seem to lean slightly towards the Mit. I'm getting formal quotes, but I think pricing will be similar. I stopped by Photonics West yesterday and happened to walk by the booths for both Mahr and Mitutoyo. Both sent CMM/OMM people, and only Mit. was able to talk in depth about height stands. No surprise, but I knew I hit salesmen when both places started with "Well, we're probably a bit more expensive, but also a bit more accurate" when asked how they would compare to the other. More specific applications conversation still pending.

6. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sylvsc motorized height Gage is what I need. We have several, they are a really useful measuring device. Watch some YouTube videos of them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mis spelled Sylvac, don't know how to edit on taptalk

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    Now at a place developing optical systems. We have a CMM, but it's often backed up and we're still getting the operators up to speed on general metrology. As a result we've been doing a lot of manual layout. Parts are inconvenient to ship, and we typically want same day measurements, so we haven't been utilizing outside inspection houses much lately. Parts range near 0 to 350 mm (14"). Our current height stand (Mitutoyo Series 192) doesn't have the desired resolution much less accuracy, so I've been attaching it to an Interapid indicator and using it as a transfer stand to stacks of gauge blocks. This is pretty tedious, so I'd like a faster way. Company policy makes buying used equipment difficult, so assume whatever we get needs to be new.

I thought about getting a height master (Mit. 515-322 and a riser block) to transfer to instead of gauge blocks, but think a better height stand will save enough more time to justify the increased cost.

I have experience with Mahr height stands from a past job (816 CL). They did well, but I only used them to measure small (<30 mm) heights, not to locate holes, larger diameters, etc.

I'm debating between a Mahr 817 CLM and Mitutoyo LH-600E (or EG).

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or a third recommendation I should look at?
    I'm stuck in that predicament also. but every time I start to think about the 512's its around 4k Then a few master gage blocks to verify before every use., I think about the Fowler one mentioned is around 7.5k (which was recommenced to me by a few inspectors). I haven't check to see what each one would cost to get calibrated every year however. if the Calibration price is too high it would be better to go with a 25-30k manual cmm

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I'm stuck in that predicament also. but every time I start to think about the 512's its around 4k Then a few master gage blocks to verify before every use., I think about the Fowler one mentioned is around 7.5k (which was recommenced to me by a few inspectors). I haven't check to see what each one would cost to get calibrated every year however. if the Calibration price is too high it would be better to go with a 25-30k manual cmm
    If you don't mind buying used, a Mitutoyo height master is regularly available for $500 on the 'bay. Note that the non-digital ones actually have better accuracy, at least in the current catalog.
    From my perspective 1 minute saved using a height stand to read a measurement instead of transferring to a height master 6 times a day = 30 times a week at an average hourly cost of $200/hr is $100/week, so the nice height stand pays for its self in under a year vs. a height master, which has at least the same time savings vs. gauge block stacks.

I looked at the Fowler model people keep mentioning. From what I can tell it has a lower measurement force than the Mitutoyo and Mahr equivalents, but also much worse listed accuracy and a similar price tag. If you really need that lower measurement force it may make sense, but I don't think it does in my case compared to the other two. It is handy to have as a comparison though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    If you don't mind buying used, a Mitutoyo height master is regularly available for $500 on the 'bay. Note that the non-digital ones actually have better accuracy, at least in the current catalog.
    From my perspective 1 minute saved using a height stand to read a measurement instead of transferring to a height master 6 times a day = 30 times a week at an average hourly cost of $200/hr is $100/week, so the nice height stand pays for its self in under a year vs. a height master, which has at least the same time savings vs. gauge block stacks.

I looked at the Fowler model people keep mentioning. From what I can tell it has a lower measurement force than the Mitutoyo and Mahr equivalents, but also much worse listed accuracy and a similar price tag. If you really need that lower measurement force it may make sense, but I don't think it does in my case compared to the other two. It is handy to have as a comparison though.
    I have a problem buying used for the simple fact every time I do I get screwed and theres problems.

You have a good point on the height stand vs the height master. I been doing everything with gage blocks set up different blocks using a height stand and leave them set up till the jobs done.

I recently bought a new Mitutoyo dial high stand I need to go get it calibrated. I been verifying it with gage blocks and its pretty damn accurate, but for some reason I don't trust them.
    all my height stands I use for holding and indicator and using blocks only. I waste a ton of time, but have 5 of them so there all set up on different Dims for the job.
    I have the SPI electronic one that I bought years ago. with in 4 months I couldnt get it to repeat with in .002. so now its just a glorified indicator holder.

we spend alot of time inspecting parts during machining and final inspection. I need something that will get that time way down.