What's new
What's new

Moving CMM - Mitutoyo B504B

diyengineer253

Hot Rolled
Hello,

Have to run down to Portland (120 miles) with the trailer this weekend and pickup a CMM.

Appears to have the shipping brackets attached. Other than wrapping it up to keep out the elements, any other words of warning/cautions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 992
It does appear the shipping brackets are in place (a good thing). The bands holding this to the pallet appear to be a little less than robust (could be improved). If those are nylon straps, maybe double up on them. "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and NOT have it. Also, a double thickness of tarps over EVERYTHING, since, with all those pointy corners, something's bound to poke through en-route. (If you're buying a CMM, you probably already know this. For those that are thinking about it, this will give them something ELSE to think about!) Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

It does appear the shipping brackets are in place (a good thing). The bands holding this to the pallet appear to be a little less than robust (could be improved). If those are nylon straps, maybe double up on them. "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and NOT have it. Also, a double thickness of tarps over EVERYTHING, since, with all those pointy corners, something's bound to poke through en-route. (If you're buying a CMM, you probably already know this. For those that are thinking about it, this will give them something ELSE to think about!) Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.
Thanks Eric.

Going to pick it up Thursday Morning. 2.5 hours each way. I just sold my box truck, and now I'm stuck pulling a 5x10 trailer with my Jeep haha. I'll post pics when it's home safe!

Thanks for the kind words.

What will you be putting this on? Did a stand / table / frame come with it? The good thing about moving this yourself is that YOU have a stake in the condition it arrives in, which means YOU will make sure it arrives as safely as possible. At a previous employer, I had to go check out some tooling that was being move from one molding shop to another. The company that shipped it (probably) was irritated that the tool was moved out. They simply strapped it to a pallet with 1 or 2 nylon straps, nailed some plywood around the sides and on the top, and pretended it was a crate. (This tool was a family mold that weighed several hundred pounds.) The various attachments, fittings, etc, were simply thrown in with no packing around them. They shipped it via a common carrier, and you can imagine the condition it was in upon arrival.In your case, with the granite surface on the pallet, the center-of-gravity should be nice and low to keep it right-side up!

That thing is going to take a beating...even with the shipping brackets.

Also take good care of that old computer...worth more than the hardware of the CMM>

At the risk of stating the obvious, put the computer gear in the vehicle, not in the trailer. Dstryr makes the point perfectly. I would certainly think about how best to reduce wind pressure on the gantry assy. 60 mph wind for a couple of hours can put a lot of strain on delicate measuring devices, and their connections to each other.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

The machine is off the stand and on a pallet. So it will be nice and low in the trailer. Good idea keeping the electronics inside the card just in case.

The machine does come with the original stand, dryer, all cds, computer, etc.

Talked with the operator who ran it and sounds like it's in great condition just missing the monitor.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

The machine is off the stand and on a pallet. So it will be nice and low in the trailer. Good idea keeping the electronics inside the card just in case.

The machine does come with the original stand, dryer, all cds, computer, etc.

Talked with the operator who ran it and sounds like it's in great condition just missing the monitor.

You arent worried its going to be thrashed from the bumpy non air ride trip? Hopefully you arent paying much for it?

Good luck. Personally I would have rented a Ryder or Uhaul but to each his own. Hope it's a good machine for you.

Since all the factory shipping brackets are installed (hopefully correctly with the air bearings backed off) I would not blink twice to do what you are about to.
Your trailer will probably provide a nicer trip than putting it on a empty air ride truck as your suspension will actually be working.
I'd put it on so the front view in your picture is the side view on the trailer and wrap the crap out of it with the same plastic the top is wrapped with now.
Some wraps with duct tape will help keep it from coming loose in the wind.
Run two straps across the plate to the trailer frame. Block it front and back in case a kid runs out in front of you.

Like any CMM or optical comapartor, you can't move one inside a decent sized building with it needing to be recalibrated if you want it to work it's best.
Also keep in mind that these things need an ultra-clean, ultra-dry, air supply when running. Make sure the air inlet is capped so no dust/dirt gets inside.
Bob.

Good point about air tubing and fitting caps to keep particulates out. And this IS a classic application for 90 mph tape.

I have moved delicate-heavy stuff in the past with judicious use of 2" thk polyethylene (not polyurethane) foam as a shock absorber for bumpy rides. If you have a slab to lay on the trailer bed under the granite pallet, that can provide some shock damping. Adjust your rigging accordingly for the slight mush.

Moving went perfect! Now I have to build a little quality control room in my shop :/ haha. The single axel trailer actually worked out great and the suspension actually worked out well being half loaded.

Back