Need air clamping schematic for Brown & Sharpe Microval
Close
Login to Your Account
    Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need air clamping schematic for Brown & Sharpe Microval

The plastic/rubber tubing that routes the air for axis clamping on my Microval has deteriorated, and I need to replace it. Does any body have a schematic of the air clamping system for the Microval?

Lord Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a manual for a Micro Validator CMM (MicroVal A, ca 1989) that includes a block flow diagram for the air system. Would that be of interest?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry View Post
    I have a manual for a Micro Validator CMM (MicroVal A, ca 1989) that includes a block flow diagram for the air system. Would that be of interest?

Mike
    That would help. How can I obtain a copy of that diagram? I will leave a personal message for you with my e-mail address.

Lord Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry - my inbox was full but space should be available now. PM me with your email address and I'll email off the 3 pages on the air system, which I've just scanned.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bruce,
    I am going to tackle the tubing replacement on my Microval starting tonight. I have the schematic and a parts machine for reference. Literally every line is broken. I will start a new thread and will report the interesting bits.
    -Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    Bruce,
    I am going to tackle the tubing replacement on my Microval starting tonight. I have the schematic and a parts machine for reference. Literally every line is broken. I will start a new thread and will report the interesting bits.
    -Tony
    I have thrown in to towel on trying to re-tube this machine by myself. The tubing problem came up all of a sudden, after I successfully completed a reverse engineering project. So the electronics on the machine are OK. I have contacted a calibration and repair service out of Blaine, Minnesota, and they have assured me that they can re-hose and re-calibrate this Microval for $2,473. Upon looking what it would cost to replace this machine, I feel that this is reasonable.

Lorb Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As of last night I have 5 hours in it. I expect to have 8 hours in it total. It takes an extreme amount of patience. I had to make a special tool to hold and attach the hoses in some spots. This is my personal machine, so I can afford the time and frustration. I can see why you would choose to have it done by somebody else. I think these are great old machines.
    -Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is an old thread, but Tony, could you share how you made the special tool for rehosing? That would be a huge help as I am working on rehosing a Microval and trying to figure out what to make. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are several barbed fittings on the Z axis air bearing that are a bear to get to. I made a tool that looks like a dog catchers noose to grab the end of the hose, guide it into position and push it on the barb. The body of the tool was a piece of steel brake line. The loop was a thin piece of aircraft cable that, when doubled over, fit through the brake line. You put the tube in the loop and cinch it up on the other end of the brake line. The brake line can be bent as need to get the correct angle for attaching the hose to the barb. I should have taken pictures, tool has long since been re-purposed.
    My original time estimate was way off, I think it took more like 24-30 hours.
    On another note, my light pen has died. I am reverse engineering it and designing a new one. I have the protocol figured out with a "light pen emulator" I built. Getting a clean signal from the phototransistor while it is near the display is a challenge.

Tony

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have started this same process on my machine, I find it crazy how this old tubing just crumbles to dust. Would anybody be willing to share the diagram?

Thanks in advanced!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joey2point0 View Post
    I have started this same process on my machine, I find it crazy how this old tubing just crumbles to dust. Would anybody be willing to share the diagram?

Thanks in advanced!
    PM me with your email address and I'll send off a copy of what I have for a B&S MicroVal.

Mike

12. Likes joey2point0 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry View Post
    PM me with your email address and I'll send off a copy of what I have for a B&S MicroVal.

Mike
    You got it!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default brown and sharpe microval power supply pinout

Hey folks. Although this is an old thread, yet it still provides a lot of valuable information to others, so thanks for all the inputs. Iíve purchased a B&S microval recently for a good price. it came without a computer, and probe. Iím in a process of re-hosing the machine. all the old spaghetti-like hoses just flaked out of the machine when I opened it. I think Iíll need to remove the air bearings too, cause getting to those lines is a nightmare without doing so. The plan is that Iíll mark each bolt and nut with ink, to make sure they go back to their corresponding places and number of turns.
    I got a computer yesterday Ė thanks to finding a great guy on a forum like this. all the cable terminals fit as they should. It did not come with a power supply though. itís a B&S180-22-6 model, and it clearly says on the back sticker that use only 80-405-312 power supply with it. itís 5V and 12V power supply. I scanned eBay and google could not find any. I think I could use a standard PC power supply, but I would need a pinout for that. the socket is a 5 pin old school stereo (DIN) port. I searched on the hexagon site, with no avail. If someone has this PS can you please measure the voltages on the pins. If you have a pinout diagram and can share it I would really appreciate it.
    Lastly. I donít have a probe for it. Iíve looked and the microval machines were equipped with Renishaw TP1S, MIP, PH9A, TP1 and TP-ES probes. Not sure what the difference between these are. eBay has them for $100-$2500 Ė obviously my budget is limited, if someone has a good probe for sale that fits this machine please send me a pm.
    thank you!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,

I am replacing all the airline on my B&S gage 2000. I sure could use the diagrams.
    could you please email them to me @ [email protected]

Thank you

Greg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a Gage 4-5-4 (2002) that the airlines crumbled and not sure the connection pattern. does the airline diagram you have work for this machine, Mike or anyone?
    thanks,