What's new
What's new

Need air clamping schematic for Brown & Sharpe Microval

I have a manual for a Micro Validator CMM (MicroVal A, ca 1989) that includes a block flow diagram for the air system. Would that be of interest?

Mike

Sorry - my inbox was full but space should be available now. PM me with your email address and I'll email off the 3 pages on the air system, which I've just scanned.

Mike

Bruce,
I am going to tackle the tubing replacement on my Microval starting tonight. I have the schematic and a parts machine for reference. Literally every line is broken. I will start a new thread and will report the interesting bits.
-Tony

Bruce,
I am going to tackle the tubing replacement on my Microval starting tonight. I have the schematic and a parts machine for reference. Literally every line is broken. I will start a new thread and will report the interesting bits.
-Tony

I have thrown in to towel on trying to re-tube this machine by myself. The tubing problem came up all of a sudden, after I successfully completed a reverse engineering project. So the electronics on the machine are OK. I have contacted a calibration and repair service out of Blaine, Minnesota, and they have assured me that they can re-hose and re-calibrate this Microval for $2,473. Upon looking what it would cost to replace this machine, I feel that this is reasonable.

Lorb Byron

As of last night I have 5 hours in it. I expect to have 8 hours in it total. It takes an extreme amount of patience. I had to make a special tool to hold and attach the hoses in some spots. This is my personal machine, so I can afford the time and frustration. I can see why you would choose to have it done by somebody else. I think these are great old machines.
-Tony

I know this is an old thread, but Tony, could you share how you made the special tool for rehosing? That would be a huge help as I am working on rehosing a Microval and trying to figure out what to make. Thanks!

There are several barbed fittings on the Z axis air bearing that are a bear to get to. I made a tool that looks like a dog catchers noose to grab the end of the hose, guide it into position and push it on the barb. The body of the tool was a piece of steel brake line. The loop was a thin piece of aircraft cable that, when doubled over, fit through the brake line. You put the tube in the loop and cinch it up on the other end of the brake line. The brake line can be bent as need to get the correct angle for attaching the hose to the barb. I should have taken pictures, tool has long since been re-purposed.
My original time estimate was way off, I think it took more like 24-30 hours.
On another note, my light pen has died. I am reverse engineering it and designing a new one. I have the protocol figured out with a "light pen emulator" I built. Getting a clean signal from the phototransistor while it is near the display is a challenge.

Tony

I have started this same process on my machine, I find it crazy how this old tubing just crumbles to dust. Would anybody be willing to share the diagram?

Thanks in advanced!

brown and sharpe microval power supply pinout

Hey folks. Although this is an old thread, yet it still provides a lot of valuable information to others, so thanks for all the inputs. I’ve purchased a B&S microval recently for a good price. it came without a computer, and probe. I’m in a process of re-hosing the machine. all the old spaghetti-like hoses just flaked out of the machine when I opened it. I think I’ll need to remove the air bearings too, cause getting to those lines is a nightmare without doing so. The plan is that I’ll mark each bolt and nut with ink, to make sure they go back to their corresponding places and number of turns.
I got a computer yesterday – thanks to finding a great guy on a forum like this. all the cable terminals fit as they should. It did not come with a power supply though. it’s a B&S180-22-6 model, and it clearly says on the back sticker that use only 80-405-312 power supply with it. it’s 5V and 12V power supply. I scanned eBay and google could not find any. I think I could use a standard PC power supply, but I would need a pinout for that. the socket is a 5 pin old school stereo (DIN) port. I searched on the hexagon site, with no avail. If someone has this PS can you please measure the voltages on the pins. If you have a pinout diagram and can share it I would really appreciate it.
Lastly. I don’t have a probe for it. I’ve looked and the microval machines were equipped with Renishaw TP1S, MIP, PH9A, TP1 and TP-ES probes. Not sure what the difference between these are. eBay has them for $100-$2500 – obviously my budget is limited, if someone has a good probe for sale that fits this machine please send me a pm.
thank you!

We have a Gage 4-5-4 (2002) that the airlines crumbled and not sure the connection pattern. does the airline diagram you have work for this machine, Mike or anyone?
thanks,

We have a Gage 4-5-4 (2002) that the airlines crumbled and not sure the connection pattern. does the airline diagram you have work for this machine, Mike or anyone?
thanks,

Greg - In case you haven't found the diagram yet, PM me with your email address and I'll send out you a PDF copy of what I have for a a 1990's MicroVal.

Mike

Hello im working on a gauge 2000 from 03 trying to replace air lines but they blew apart and i have no reference to how they are ran. Can't find a diagram online to save my life, any help/info would be much appreciated. Email: [email protected]

Greg - In case you haven't found the diagram yet, PM me with your email address and I'll send out you a PDF copy of what I have for a a 1990's MicroVal.

Mike
could you send me a copy of what you have, im working on the air hoses and need some reference. Any info is much appreciated. [email protected]

Back