What's new
What's new

optical parallels

dian --

Probably the most common use for sets of optical parallels of different thicknesses is to check the non-parallelism of a micrometer spindle face to the anvil face at different rotational positions of the spindle. Usually the checked positions differ by half a turn of the spindle -- which means the optical parallel thicknesses need to differ by half the pitch of the spindle screw -- but I've heard tales of checking at quarter-turn increments.

John

I bought a set of 4 from Ukraine about 3 years ago. The widths of my set are 15.62mm, 15.75mm, 15.87mm and 16.00mm, and they're for micrometer calibration, and were supplied with an individual signed calibration certificate, from 1984. So, I suppose, they're new, old stock.

Last edited:
what this is for? they are not the same height, it appears, so why parallels? (i know what an optical flat is.)

Glass Optical Flat Parallel Set 9 mm. | eBay

I'll have a go at this and try and keep it very simple.

Separate the two words "flat" and "parallel". The objects shown can measure both how "flat" something is (for example the surface of a gauge block) or as others have mentioned, how parallel the contact surfaces are on for example a micrometer.

Think of them as "two in one" rather than one thing.

Back