What's new
What's new

Overhauling three dial indicators

FinnoUgric

Plastic
I purchased from the fleaBay a dial indicator with 100 millimetre stroke.
That dial indicator looks like it had never been used but it is sticky.
I overhaul the dial indicator and do the same for two other dial indicators that suffer from diverse symptoms.

Forumshot.jpg

Sticky dial indicators are probably the most common breed of unusable measuring instruments in the workshop.
Although one can cure such a device with a squirt of WD40, this cure does not last very long and the poor thing reverts to it's original sorry state sooner than later.

00_title.jpg

Why is this and how can it be fixed. I try to cast some light on those subjects in this rather long video.
The video is suitable for the hearing impaired and persons who have difficulties in understanding my spoken English.
The video has hand written subtitles in English, German and Finnish languages.

https://youtu.be/NLEwdn_3MUk

Wonderful job ! I trained as a watchmaker when very young and worked for a while repairing dial indicators. I remember some were oiled and some were not. Very little oil was used - same applicator as for the smallest ladies' watches. We used "benzine" to clean and toothpicks to clean the holes inside - that is very important. It is good practice to notice and mark the movement of the shafts in the ( worn ) holes before doing anything else - saves a lot of irritation later when you find you have to shrink a hole and try to work out which way.

Thank you for the video !

Back