What's new
What's new

Oxford Precision Hardness Tester - Varying Results???

DMSCNC

Plastic
Hi,

We have a Oxford hardness tester and I am getting some strange results, the unit is less than 1 year old. It seems to measure correct when testing against all of my calibration blocks but when I test parts at a specific length (around 40mm) I am getting a low result (around 6Rc down).

If the component was an odd shape or thin walled for example I would put it down to these factors, this is not the case here though as the parts are basically short tubes and around 15mm WT. I am testing on the end face so all the compression is transferred end to end not radially on the diameter (hopefully that makes sense).

I have tried lowering the table and sitting the part on top of a ground parallel block so that the test is carried out on a different section of the thread (The thread of the table height adjustment), this made no difference.

It appears to only be parts around this length, unless I am completely missing something obvious:confused:, if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.

Note: I have tested the parts with another tester and all measured OK (as per material cert)

Weird. Table height shouldn't matter. Makes me think something is fishy with the elevating screw. Flexing? Something shifting when measuring? Screw worn out in that area?

Back