Parts of a micrometer screw gauge?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Parts of a micrometer screw gauge?

Before starting my "Micrometer barrel adjustment" thread, I had to learn the names of the micrometer's components, so I could correctly describe what I was trying to achieve.

I found many pictorial references on-line showing the basic parts, which was sufficient for that query. But I'd like to know more part names, and the one-and-only annotated diagram I've been able to find is such low resolution it's hard to see the fine details.

I've attached that diagram, extracted from the document "An incomplete compendium of micrometers and their makers" published by Peter Marks in 2011.

micrometer_screw-gauge_cut-away_diagram-low-res-.gif

Can anyone point me to a good-resolution source for that image, or perhaps a different one but showing at least as much naming detail?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

awander,

Many thanks for finding those. The second page of your second file was what I wanted, but still not high enough resolution for me.

But, now armed with a manufacturer I went searching and found this old catalogue: Lufkin Precision Tools : Catalog No. 7 : Lufkin Rule Co. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive, from which I was able to extract a much higher resolution image, which I've attached for anyone else interested.

lufkin_catalog7_p9.jpg

Daniel

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oops, that didn't work! The attachment was converted to jpg and reduced in resolution. Maybe that's what happened to the pics you posted!

I need to work out how to 'attach' an image without pasting it in-line, so it's available in its original resolution. Can any one assist with this?

Daniel

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

micrometer parts - Google Search

The issue I see is that all the micrometers shown are close to antique. No problem as far as names go but a digital micrometer would be good too.

6. Likes DanielF, Eric M liked this post