What's new
What's new

parts are sticking. Help

SVanderkolff

Plastic
I need some equipment help.
This is part of my Wilsn 3JR hardness tester. The diamond penetrator goes in the left hand side and the rest is up inside the machine. The collar part is supposed to slide up and down the shaft but is sticking. I have tried lubrication but that isn't helping. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• hardness-tester-part-1.jpg
    hardness-tester-part-1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 158
  • hardness-tester-part-2.jpg
    hardness-tester-part-2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 151
  • hardness-tester-part-3.jpg
    hardness-tester-part-3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 142
In use this part only moves maybe 1/16" once installed. Is it sticking the entire length or just the critical length when installed? That machine is likely 40+ years old, so the ID could be fouled or the shaft is bent. I don't know how you would bend the shaft, so I would guess the ID is dirty.

Whats the best way to clean out the ID.?
You could take a tight fitting wooden dowel with some light abrasive to polish the inside. You might be able to use toothpaste or car polish as an abrasive.

Try cleaning the shaft real well using fine steel wool.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

You could take a tight fitting wooden dowel with some light abrasive to polish the inside. You might be able to use toothpaste or car polish as an abrasive.

Try cleaning the shaft real well using fine steel wool.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

As above - I'd use a swap(Q-tip) with diamond polish - 9 micron. Lacking that toothpaste and car polish are good substitutes. Brake cleaner will remove any gunk from dried oil/grease.

Back