What's new
What's new

PC DMIS mould measuring

mazo

Plastic
Hello,

In our mould shop we have start to use PC DMIS for electrode measurements and for core/cavity measurements.

From what I have seen now and after rraining from Hexagon it takes a lot of time (aprox. 3hours for one more complex mould cavity) to make the program and I am looking for solution how to drasticaly reduce these time.

Any ideas how to reduce these time?

Rough guideline for programming time is about 6-8 minutes per feature reported, plus an hour. This is for any part with any sort of complexity. This is what a lot of different contractors quote.

Eehotaka,

Do I understand correctly:
For 1000 surface points on the model it is needed 1000*8min=8000min+60min=143hours???
These for sure can not be!

Not each hit, each print dimension.

It's a rough guideline, but the number of jobs I buried thinking I could do it quicker far exceeded the number of times I significantly beat the estimate....

But as I said, there are a lot of factors. If you just want to pull CAD in and report the profile of a whole lot of random points to a single alignment, that will be faster. Sadly, there aren't a lot of jobs like that....

This is totally dependent on the type of mold and the type of dimensions you have to report. Are your molds such that you can make a template program file that already has your basic alignment in there? (Just add the different mold features) Is your computer slowing you down? (Happens when you just take the CRAPPY AWFUL PC's that Hexagon will sell you for massively inflated prices. They're usually bargain bin computers that will make you want to hang yourself with the lag time you experience with making/editing larger programs with large numbers of points.)

Identify what components of the programming process take the most time, and then you can begin coming up with ideas to reduce your effort!

Dear Dylad,

We could say that we measure three types of mold components:
1. Core/cavity inserts (where we always have zero in X and Y on the center of insert and on Z on higher FLAT top surface. We measure three main types: Points on shape, Point on parting line and matching dimensions-where for instance slider will be moving inside the insert)
2. Sliders, lifters,.... a little more trick normally we some origin hole but can be also there we just use 3-2-1 or best fit (although I am not a big fan of best-fit)
3. Mod plates ((where we always have zero in X and Y on the center of plate and on Z on top surface).

What would be your proposal for template and where can I save programming time?

P.S.:I don't thing computer is the issue.

If you can put the points you want to check directly on the model, when you import the model into PC-DMIS and get it setup properly, you can go to Insert...Features...Auto Features...Vector Point.

MAKE SURE THE MEASURE OPTION IS NOT SELECTED!

Drag the window over the model, it will find all the points. Create them. Exit the dialog box. Somewhere is the autopath generator - find it, select it, let it sort the points and create the drive moves.

Now

Eehotaka:

The idea to put points on the CAD model could be the way to go and if PC DMIS can recognize features (for instance Parting1, Parting2,..... Shape1, Shape2,....... Slider 1, Slider 2 as name of points inside our CAD system) since then I can have very good overview and good structure of the program.
I can create the points quite easily and fast inside our CAD/CAM (Unigraphics) and transfer them via stp translator to PC DMIS.

Can you be please more specific how to create the program and moves from CAD model with points inside?

I seem to recall there's an option in there to use CAD generated feature names, though I don't remember where (I'm assuming you're using a fairly current version of the software), I'll have to look it up as time permits.

There are a lot of parameters involved, but fundamentally you would want to set up your CAD model in the software, create your reporting alignment, then do the drag over the points. Again, I'll have to get back to you on how to do the autopath generation, which I'm thinking is an add-on(? it's been a long while since I've done any machine quoting so I don't know what current practice is). I honestly never use it, I dislike trusting the demon to do things right.

If you are a current maintenance-paying customer, it might be worth your time to call in, or to even pay for some over-the-web lessons from a tech, to understand how you can prep your CAD model to speed your programming time up. This is difficult to explain over a web forum, and varies wildly dependent on what you can do with your CAD software.

Hello,

In our mould shop we have start to use PC DMIS for electrode measurements and for core/cavity measurements.

From what I have seen now and after rraining from Hexagon it takes a lot of time (aprox. 3hours for one more complex mould cavity) to make the program and I am looking for solution how to drasticaly reduce these time.

Any ideas how to reduce these time?

Take less points!!

I check core cavity blocks up to 110" in size and I strive to keep minimal points.

Seriously my reports usually 100-200 points. I usually run points across parting line and part surfaces every 6-8 inches apart, then focus on any attachment features if possible.

And I stay the hell away from features on lifters or slides.

When I check electrodes, just a couple points. Generally this tells the tale of the whole electrode. Generally it's either good or it's bad. Most bad trades were not seated in the 3r chuck when cut...

Hello,

In the meantime I have come to conclusion that the optimum ways is to put point which I want to measure on the mold inside our CAD (Unigraphics) and then translate them via *.stp to PC DMIS.
From then on it would be the best way to continue with autopath, but as far as I know I do not have these option in my license - see bellow:

-DMIS 3.25 Enabled
PC-DMIS CAD Output Translator
PC-DMIS CAD++
PC-DMIS COP
PC-DMIS DCC Scanning
PC-DMIS Display CAD
PC-DMIS DMIS Translator
PC-DMIS Expire : 2015-01-01
PC-DMIS Five Unique
PC-DMIS GD&T Selection
PC-DMIS Online Interface-B&S Leitz
PC-DMIS Sheet Metal
PC-DMIS Stats Output
PC-DMIS Tactile Probing
PC-DMIS Vendor-WAI (Generic)

Does anybody here have some experience with autopath-does it relay do every think by itself as is show on youtube ;-D.

Looking forward to receive your replays.

Back