What's new
What's new

Peacock bore gage

viper

Titanium
I bought a used peacock bore gage that takes those anvils. It is a precise unit but I have concerns with repeating when swapping anvils but I guess we will just have to see on that.

One of the anvils that I really need is missing. I notice Peacock does not have a US number listed. Just wondering if you can get parts for these things or if it would be worth trying to my an anvil for this one? I was thinking I could "tune it" with a ring gage to get it to measure right I guess.

thoughts? Are these worth having? It is a 2 point contact unit. I wanted that so I can better test for out of round and taper and a multi point device can lie.

I bought a used peacock bore gage that takes those anvils. It is a precise unit but I have concerns with repeating when swapping anvils but I guess we will just have to see on that. ...
I was thinking I could "tune it" with a ring gage to get it to measure right I guess.
You definitely need ring gages when working with this type of tool. You certainly need to check and adjust the bore gage when changing anvils. It's wise to check it before every use.

The optimum size would be at the boundary between two anvil ranges. For example, you could use a 1.200" ring gage for both the 1.0"-1.2" and the 1.2"-1.4" ranges.

Obviously different gage models have different ranges. The idea is to identify the smallest number of ring gages that will handle the full range of your tool, or the desired ranges.

You'll find ring gages routinely on evilpay. These are more important when using a bore gage than with most other instruments. As with anything else, you get what you pay for.

- Leigh

We used to set them with a Mic, But the aim was taper and out of round more than exact size. A couple smal wood blocks to hold the anvils level, set the mic to the bore size you looking for, thimble end against the moveable pin, swing the mic for the smallest reading, set the dial to 0.000.

Back