Practical Guide to Precision Measurement?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Practical Guide to Precision Measurement?

can anyone point me to a book/resource for learning the proper way to measure/inspect parts? i understand the concepts at a basic level, but i'm interested in the details and limitations of different measuring tools/procedures.

most of the work i've done has been fabrication (+/- 1/32") and machining with tolerances down to ~+/-.oo5", with occasional bearing fits of +/-.oo1". i've had good results with the as machined accuracy of a bridgeport with a DRO, but i'm getting into more complicated work and some low quantity production. i need to get a better idea of the footwork required to accomplish standard fits and GD&T to keep time and cost under control.

i've looked into tooling U and the sample classes looked decent, but i'm wondering if there isn't a reference book that will get me there and always be on the shelf to clarify things.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike, I have never looked for such text but I suppose someone has written one. Our community college has many metrology classes and I had an opportunity to help write an advanced inspection text along with machinists from several other companies to be used in the Top Gun program sponsored by the Dayton Tooling and Machining Association (DTMA). That was about 8 years ago before I knew what I was doing.

Check out the course books at your local college. Books can teach you the principals of inspection and use of the tools. Understanding prints and geometric toleranceing is the real key to success. When in doubt about how to measure something, find out what your customer is using. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Measuring and Gauging Geometric Tolerances" by Gary Griffith.

Pretty darn good reference book written in language you and I can understand. And if you can't understand it, there are plenty of pictures. I highly recommend it!
    Last edited by hesstool; 05-09-2008 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Format error

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could I suggest researching your local Standards organisation. Standards are written giving very detailed information on all areas of metrology also try elite organisations like ASTM.

Many standards organisations virtually copy standards from one country's database into their own so there is a lot of same thinking in the world.

Why not just Google Metrology?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology by Connie Dotson is pretty good book, as is The Handbook of Dimensional Measurement by Farrago and Curtis. Not as good IMO is SME's Handbook of Dimensional Metrology. IBM also had a book on precision measurement that was pretty good, but can't recall the title right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about
    The DoALL Company, The Science of Precision Measurement, Des Plaines, Illinois, 1953.

- Leigh

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My favorite book on GD&T is Geometrics III by Lowell P Foster.

This book is very thorough on the subject, but remains fairly conversational and readable.

I'm considering purchasing Mitutoyo's Metrology Handbook for $90, next paycheck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Starrett put out a good basic text that is called "Tools and Rules for Precision Measuring"
    http://www.starrett.com/pages/1294_t...sion_measuring

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recommended books

Here's a couple I've found useful:

"Inspection and Gaging" - by Clifford W. Kennedy, Edward G. Hoffman, and Steven D. Bond; published by Industrial Press

"An Introduction to Measuration and Calibration" - by Paul Campbell; published by Industrial Press

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Interpretation of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing" by Daniel E. Puncochar - ISBN 0-8311-3010-5

There are a many useful publications like these available from MSC and other tooling sources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out the NIST site, lots of reference material. If you're looking at measuring from a metrology perspective, you need to first understand calibration and measurement uncertainties. Calibration will ensure your measurement is traceable to a primary standard, and it's helpful to know how that process occurs, and how uncertainties through the calibration process affect your accuracy. It's also pretty interesting!