What's new
What's new

OT: Can you guys help identify this metrology device?

exkenna

Stainless
I was going to put this in the classifieds but I'm not sure how to list it or how much to ask for it. Have no idea what it's worth.

Yes I did Google "Carl Zeiss Passometer" but didn't get a whole lot out of it.

I put a nickel on the lower left edge of the wooden box as scale.

Any idea how old it is?

TIA,
Curt

DSC04693.jpg

Curtis,
It looks like an old Indicating Micrometer, maybe more for round's as it has a support towards the bottom. No clue as to it's age though. (Edit,, that's not a support, maybe the spring cavity for the needle??)
Zeiss is known for their rifle scopes though, they are very nice. ($$$$$$$$$)
Dave

Similar gages are still in use today in factories, (mostly in asia where there is still work). based on nothing but the appearance I'd put yours in the '60s. Zeiss has always been a top notch gage company.

Thanks Dave.
I kinda wondered if it was for checking out-of-roundness :skep:

It seems to be working well, no stickiness to the plunger and sweep needle moves smoothly. Looks to have been babied. I would guess from the '50s or '60s. Maybe older. Is there a market for antique metrology stuff?

I'd say an indicating snap gage. Just like an indicating micrometer, but you set it on a standard like a gage pin and use it to compare finished parts. '60s or '70s maybe?

Still available, should give you a reference at least:

CARL ZEISS PASSOMETER MICROMETERS IMP
CARL ZEISS 0 - 1" PASSOMETER MIC £95
CARL ZEISS 1"- 2" PASSOMETER MIC £145
CARL ZEISS 2"- 3" PASSOMETER MIC £155
CARL ZEISS 3"- 4" PASSOMETER MIC £165
CARL ZEISS 3"- 4" PASSOMETER MIC £170
CARL ZEISS 4"- 5" PASSOMETER MIC £185

Found here.

Edit: Should've taken the time to read more closely! Those are probably used, so I was getting ahead of myself saying they're still available...

Back