What's new
What's new

Protective Coatings for Shop Made Gages?

Piper3T

Plastic
The shop I work at makes and uses a lot of checking gages. We've never really coated them in anything, maybe cold black oxide.

I was wondering what other people do for wear protection on in-house gages such as plug gages, thread plug gages, thread ring gages, and other go/nogo type gages.

I'm probably overthinking things, but we go to a lot of effort to design the tolerance stackup and make the gage. If I can extend the life of the gage adding a coating, that might be worth it. And if the coating will change thickness, we'd have to re-do the stackup before fabrication.

I know some thread gages are TiN coated, our pin gages from vermont gage have black oxide. Just looking for other ideas.

Thanks.

The shop I work at makes and uses a lot of checking gages. We've never really coated them in anything, maybe cold black oxide.

I was wondering what other people do for wear protection on in-house gages such as plug gages, thread plug gages, thread ring gages, and other go/nogo type gages.

I'm probably overthinking things, but we go to a lot of effort to design the tolerance stackup and make the gage. If I can extend the life of the gage adding a coating, that might be worth it. And if the coating will change thickness, we'd have to re-do the stackup before fabrication.

I know some thread gages are TiN coated, our pin gages from vermont gage have black oxide. Just looking for other ideas.

Thanks.

The tool room here heat treats them in a kiln.

Thanks.

traditionally things like ring gages get a chrome plating. its hard and does not rust. with pollution control laws it is more difficult to get stuff chrome plated

Never forget that when coatings have a thickness then it's too late to apply on the finished gauge.

On standard 60º flank angle threads it increases the pitch diameter by 4x the layer thickness and on 29º/30º flank angle threads by 8x.

Never forget that when coatings have a thickness then it's too late to apply on the finished gauge.

On standard 60º flank angle threads it increases the pitch diameter by 4x the layer thickness and on 29º/30º flank angle threads by 8x.

reminds me the time i bought some 3/4-10 threaded rod 6 foot length and could not get any nuts on. the store lady sent regular steel threaded rod out for galvanized plating. i call store say i cannot get the nuts on and she says i have to use galvanized nuts which i am guessing she thought were bigger. she probably was not at her job very long.

reminds me the time i bought some 3/4-10 threaded rod 6 foot length and could not get any nuts on. the store lady sent regular steel threaded rod out for galvanized plating. i call store say i cannot get the nuts on and she says i have to use galvanized nuts which i am guessing she thought were bigger. she probably was not at her job very long.

I had a similar experience, kinda :)

Company made M30 and M36 long threaded SS rods (up to 10m) for large plate heat exchangers and decided to roll the threads instead of cut. Excellent idea.

Thread rolling machine was bought and they tried rolling the first thread. Smashed of course the rollers as it had been overlooked that with thread rolling the material diameter must be less than nominal pitch diameter and they had just used the usual stock material. With no cutting material has to go somewhere.

Afterwards, with new rollers and the correct diameter material (it was bought in tons so no problem), the finished rods were a delight to look at.

That's the type of mistake that only gets made once.

Re galvanizing. ISO has 2 standards for galvanized threads. ISO 965-4 and -5.

Back