What's new
What's new

Question about an odd Micrometer standard

Dumpster_diving

Cast Iron
I bought a used 5" micrometer standard the other day. Unbranded with a black hexagonal plastic thermal isolation grip (sorry no pictures).

Each end of the standard has what I would describe as removable spring steel clips. They wrap around the last 1/2" of the standard without interfering with the ends that do the measuring. Looks a lot like the spring steel clips that hold a pocket clip to the barrel of a pen.

I've never seen clips like those on the end of a standard. I can't for the life of me figure out what they're used for. Would seem like it would allow one to attach something to the end of the standard, but not at all clear to me what that would be.

Any ideas?

That makes perfect sense. Slide the clips out and they center up the standard on the anvils.

Thanks for solving that mystery (I spent a bunch of time Googling images to see if I could find a similar standard and came up empty).

Much appreciated.

A picture would be very helpful.
When talking of clips and micrometers, what it comes to mind are the clips used to hold on the anvils the three wires when measuring threads.

Unfortunately, I don't have any and I was not able to find a suitable picture with a quick search.

Paolo

Ray and Pete nailed it. No picture, but as described above. It slips over the ends and can be slid out a bit to capture the anvils. Then no hands needed to do the final adjusting/measuring.

Back