Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    for the original post the grooves are chip grooves and have been on thread gages for over a 100 years easily
    you can argue with tool makers about whether you like chip grooves and you can argue with the thread gage makers they dont know how to make thread gages.
    as anybody with experience knows the chip grooves wont allow you to easily bottom tap holes deeper. it doesnt make the thread gage a tap. the thread gage makers says galling leaves chips sticking to hole that air will not blow out and recommends wire brushing threaded hole but thats rarely done. chip grooves tend to remove the galled stuck small pieces that air will not remove
    galling or small amounts of material sticking to a surface that will not blow off is common. thats why high precision work a surface is stoned (lapped) to take the fuzz or galled small stuff off surface. on a flat surface just machined after stoning shiny high spots in a random pattern sticking up .0003" is common. its formed as the bue or built up edge forms and breaks off on a cutter. some of bue or small bits stick to metal surface. i see often in .0002" to .0004" amounts
    i call it fuzz others call it galled surface small particles sticking to surface that air will not remove. fuzz is easier to say. its in bored holes and threaded holes. obviously if boring holes to +/-.0001" you have to deal with "cleaning" the fuzz off. wiping with a rag and blowing air will not remove it. i am sure it is called by many different names in other countries. galled small metal particles sticking to surface effecting precision measurement is a alot to say. easier to say fuzz and thread gage chip grooves help "clean" it off
    The only one arguing in this thread seems to be you.

In this and other threads you keep on with your " boring holes to +/-.0001"".

Nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've thought about replying to your post but it'd just be a waste of my time.
    a waste of time? lol. like all the other 17,000 were deep and meaningful insight into the human condition

3. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

question was asked what thread gage grooves are and it was answered they are chip grooves
    if you dont like the thread gage design complain to the thread gage maker.
    personally i never had a problem with any thread gages

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only one arguing in this thread seems to be you.

In this and other threads you keep on with your " boring holes to +/-.0001"".

Nuff said.
    when a person brags about using his caliper to measure to .001" i find it amusing when he talks about high precision and what is possible and not possible.
    i looked at my drawings again and the high precision bearings are measured to .00001" NOT to .00005" and my tolerance is often +/-.0001" and i know from experience iF part at inspection is found .0001" out of tolerance that part is rejected...........sorry i cannot help be amused by the guy who uses his caliper for precision work

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    when a person brags about using his caliper to measure to .001" i find it amusing when he talks about high precision and what is possible and not possible.
    i looked at my drawings again and the high precision bearings are measured to .00001" NOT to .00005" and my tolerance is often +/-.0001" and i know from experience iF part at inspection is found .0001" out of tolerance that part is rejected...........sorry i cannot help be amused by the guy who uses his caliper for precision work
    You're being childishly stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I first saw his thread, my first thought was, "This is PM, there's no such thing as a quick question".

No shit, huh?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    When I first saw his thread, my first thought was, "This is PM, there's no such thing as a quick question".

No shit, huh?
    Very true but more often than not it's because the original question is so vague it can be given many different answers and none of them necessarily wrong.

The more thought the OP gives to what they want to know the less time the rest of us have to use to give a relevant answer.

Quantity? 1 or 10,000
    Price? $20 or $5,000
    Accuracy? 0.1" or 0.0000000000001"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very true but more often than not it's because the original question is so vague it can be given many different answers and none of them necessarily wrong.

The more thought the OP gives to what they want to know the less time the rest of us have to use to give a relevant answer.

Quantity? 1 or 10,000
    Price? $20 or $5,000
    Accuracy? 0.1" or 0.0000000000001"
    There seems to be a lot of that lately. "I'm trying to tap some material and I'm having problems. Why?"

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    There seems to be a lot of that lately. "I'm trying to tap some material and I'm having problems. Why?"
    The only answer I can think of to that is, "You're doing something wrong."

11. Likes Larry Dickman liked this post