What's new
What's new

Radius Measurement at Bottom of Blind Bore

JonEChav

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Been using this site as a resource for years and just decided to sign up with a query of my own. Also looking forward to lending some input where I may be able to help out.

Jumping into it - I've been racking my head on how to go about measuring the following:

Characteristic:
Feature: .030" +/-.010" internal radius, 360°
Material: AMS 5648 Steel, 32 Ra Surface Finish

The customer has indicated this is a flight safety characteristic, therefore:

Quality Requirements:
-100% Inspection, each part
-1/10 tolerance resolution minimum on gauging equipment
-Capable to pass gauge R&R 20% or better

This is a high volume for us, so inspection turn around time for this particular feature should be only a couple of minutes per part (setup time of ~10 minutes would be acceptable).

Unacceptable methods:
-CMM (our probe tips/extensions would not be capable)
-Mold/Comparator (we use a 2 part mold and optical comparator on other features, but wouldn't be timely enough for this)
-Contourograph (Contracer) (we have one, but likely wont reach, and setup plus 360° measurement, even if just 8 places, would take too long)
-A Go/NoGo setup. Must be able to produce variable data.

Potentials:
-Laser/Direct Optical: Possible, but cost may be a factor.
-Light Projection with Direct Visual Comparator: I saw a post where this was recommended as a solution to a guy working with a busing, but not sure how accurately this could be setup.

Hope someone here has a good idea - or at least finds the brain exercise that comes with this entertaining! Thanks for any thoughts on this one.

Talk to the folks who make air gaging equipment. They can probably do a custom head for that feature, and putting the head on the end of a 22+" shaft would be no trouble at all.

Talk to the folks who make air gaging equipment. They can probably do a custom head for that feature, and putting the head on the end of a 22+" shaft would be no trouble at all.

Thanks! We use air gauges here and there but couldn’t find anything advertised for bore radii. Might be a custom job, but good to know they’re capable. I’ll look into quotes!

Back