What's new
What's new

remote display drop indicator

avongil

Aluminum
Hi, is there a cheap way to get a remote display of a drop indicator?
This is the functionality I want.
YouTube

Why - to use in the shop and not have to put your head inside the machine to see. Or when you have limited space and you just cant see.

Any cheap alternatives?

You can get the same effect just using a cheap USB camera/(generic)Ipad combo, either wired or -less. Works with any indicator or other fixed display in the shop, could cost as little as ~$100.

Been looking for them, but I cannot find info on what the useful focal length is. The borescopes on amazon are 35$ and they probably focus up close. I tested my usb microscope and that did not work out.

Devices like this this have been around for decades in the form of a remote readout and transducer. I have one from the 40s, but those are still made in many forms and sizes. A popular one is the Mahr Federal Maxum with remote probe. Those do show up on Ebay often for quite reasonable price.

I have been looking for a mahr but the traducers are so large. I also want to fit it in small places. These you can get new for 100$ Absolute Indi Remote Readout but the size is quite large.

---
Going to try the Mahr Federal Maxum and see how that works out. THanks.

AG

We use the BlueDial LT and their Fowler Sylvac test indicator models with old I-Phones.

If you're willing to go with a separate camera;

A cheaper method would be a Raspberry PI Zero with camera.(?less than $30) Wireless to a tablet or laptop.

You can buy cheap IP cameras for less than $50.

I have a Heidenhain single axis DRO hooked up to a 1" drop gage at home. Both older tech but got them off Ebay for probably less than $150 together. I put it together to use as a multi-purpose add-on DRO on my machines.

Easy and reliable? Mahr Federal makes a really good series of dial indicators with HUGE, easy-to-read dials, coolant/shockproof, the whole works. Made for applications like this. large dial indicator.JPG

We use the BlueDial LT and their Fowler Sylvac test indicator models with old I-Phones.

A cheaper method would be a Raspberry PI Zero with camera.(?less than $30) Wireless to a tablet or laptop.

Would you be willing to expand on this? Perhaps a better description of how you get the IPhone to communicate.

Charles

Ok never mind I just did a quick search and found my own answer, thanks anyway.

YouTube

Charles

You can get the same effect just using a cheap USB camera/(generic)Ipad combo, either wired or -less. Works with any indicator or other fixed display in the shop, could cost as little as ~$100.

How do you do the pictured type measuring with a easy placed camera?
Optic axis alignment would seem to rather fussy.
One could go up top with a projected stripe or laser line and triangulation and then eat the loss of resolution but that's big and messy.
Measuring with a camera to machining numbers can get complicated.

Is what the OP is seeking a very low cost Bluetooth indicator plus a free app?
The smart indicator here $350 up and the app is free.
Is there a under 100 dollar deal out there?
Perhaps questionable quality but there are sub 50 dollar digital indicators, any small ones that can do the standard wireless talk to a 10 dollar phone?

The pain in the butt of using a mirror to read the back side when spinning the Indicol comes to mind.
Bob

Not sure it's been covered by the suggestions already, but I'd get a digital dial indicator with SPC output and a remote SPC readout. (No idea what the readouts cost, maybe they are too spendy from the usual vendors, but there are projects on the WWW for making your own.) Normal connection is wired, but I've seen wireless SPC links, too. Proscale makes them, among others.

Back