What's new
What's new

Replacement Encoder for B&S CMM

Rick Finsta

Stainless
I picked up a B&S with the Reflex controller and the Z-axis encoder didn't make the journey to the shop. The glass scale itself is in perfect shape, as is the small cage spring arm that holds the encoder against the scale. I need a replacement 182-904-2 encoder. I have found 182-904-4 units on eBay that look identical, but this has got to be a cheap component from Mouser or Digikey I would think?

Did you ever find a solution or an affordable replacement? Just got mine home and I'm dealing with the same thing for the x axis

Im dealing with the same problem on a reflex. I did find the diffraction grating that was causing the Y axis error. It had fallen out of the read head its not damaged but Im not certain of the orientation. I did find a photo of a read head on ebay. Kind of dark but it looks like it can only go in one way.

I guess these are held with a dab of adhesive. Hard to tell from the photo but these must be held in/aligned by raised edges on the long axis. The alignment is by adjusting the spring, right? Wonder if the edge alignment is good enough that it can be placed back in the holder without disturbing the alignment?

Attachments

• ecoder.jpg
    ecoder.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 96

Back