Ring gage block? Does this exist?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Ring gage block? Does this exist?

    Im looking for something to use at my machine to calibrate my probe and tool setter. What would be idea would be a 3x3x3 gage block with a precision bore in the center. Seems like a pretty straight forward item, bit I can't find it. Does anyone know if something like that exists? It could be bigger, or smaller, but the concept would be nice.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN.T View Post
    Im looking for something to use at my machine to calibrate my probe and tool setter. What would be idea would be a 3x3x3 gage block with a precision bore in the center. Seems like a pretty straight forward item, bit I can't find it. Does anyone know if something like that exists? It could be bigger, or smaller, but the concept would be nice.

    Thanks,
    Brian
    For a square body, round hole, a custom gage is what you will probably need - calibration certs from the maker. Van Keuren was the/a major player in "round stuff" including "ring" gages, and custom builds - but half a century ago.

    Go ogle finds more than one present-day host, so I am not sure if the survivors are dealing only through others, or were broken-up, various segments OWNED by others.

    Plain round external, cylindrical bore ring gages, setting rings, bore gage setting masters, are now also stock items from Mitutoyo et al.

    Can you not use a cylindrical external shape, rather than square?

    The bore has to be as "perfect as possible", but how critical is it that it be perfeclty centered if set-into a shop-fabbed block?

    Mind I'm "guessing" that the need for a rectangle is because it is on a milling center's table, vise, fixture, pallet, indexer, rotab, or tombstone or somehow meant to tuck up against a straight edge or into a corner?

    "Special need" one way or the other?
    Last edited by thermite; 10-29-2019 at 07:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    838
    Likes (Received)
    153

    Default

    Look for ring gages used to set internal micrometers. Here's an example: Cylindrical Ring Gages | Ring Gauges

  4. Likes BRIAN.T liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1539
    Likes (Received)
    1764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN.T View Post
    Im looking for something to use at my machine to calibrate my probe and tool setter. What would be idea would be a 3x3x3 gage block with a precision bore in the center. Seems like a pretty straight forward item, bit I can't find it. Does anyone know if something like that exists? It could be bigger, or smaller, but the concept would be nice.

    Thanks,
    Brian
    To set your probe you only need a ring gage, preferably 1" or larger (or so I was taught), for the tool probe you want one of these -

    CAT40 Tool Probe Calibrator - Made in USA MariTool

    Ass-uming you are using a Renishaw system

    edit: we have the one from renishawcommand, which has a little bit larger tip, nominal .500 (but the length and tip diameter will be marked on it)

    Command part #M-2253-0954

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    For a square body, round hole, a custom gage is what you will probably need - calibration certs from the maker. Van Keuren was the/a major player in "round stuff" including "ring" gages, and custom builds - but half a century ago.

    Go ogle finds more than one present-day host, so I am not sure if the survivors are dealing only through others, or were broken-up, various segments OWNED by others.

    Plain round external, cylindrical bore ring gages, setting rings, bore gage setting masters, are now also stock items from Mitutoyo et al.

    Can you not use a cylindrical external shape, rather than square?

    The bore has to be as "perfect as possible", but how critical is it that it be perfeclty centered if set-into a shop-fabbed block?

    Mind I'm "guessing" that the need for a rectangle is because it is on a milling center's table, vise, fixture, pallet, indexer, rotab, or tombstone or somehow meant to tuck up against a straight edge or into a corner?

    "Special need" one way or the other?

    I could certainly use a cylinder, so long as the length was a known dimension, and flat. and i suppose it would need to big enough to sit nicely on a machine table. does that exist? maybe 3" round, by 3" tall

    As for the bore in my would be block, center wouldn't matter at all, i would just like to be able to drop the spindle nose onto a block, then probe the bore to check the probe.

    ill look into having something made, but if im a betting man, im going to say the price is going to void my hopes of being able to use one "do all" block. ive got no problem buying both a ring gage and a block, if thats what i need to do.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    To set your probe you only need a ring gage, preferably 1" or larger (or so I was taught), for the tool probe you want one of these -

    CAT40 Tool Probe Calibrator - Made in USA MariTool

    Ass-uming you are using a Renishaw system

    edit: we have the one from renishawcommand, which has a little bit larger tip, nominal .500 (but the length and tip diameter will be marked on it)

    Command part #M-2253-0954
    You are correct, however this machine is a hsk spindle, which is nice because they are dual contact, so i can just drop the spindle nose to the block then create a master tool based on the difference, which seem like more work, and maybe it is, but it also allows me to use the same system/block on my cat40 mills.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2231
    Likes (Received)
    3473

    Default

    I've been looking for the same thing. AME makes this, it's close but not quite gage quality.

    Calibration Block | Advanced Machine & Engineering Co.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I've been looking for the same thing. AME makes this, it's close but not quite gage quality.

    Calibration Block | Advanced Machine & Engineering Co.
    Oh this is interesting, thanks I'll check it out.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    so cal, usa
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    215
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    the Haas guy that calibrated our system used a 1" ring guage ( like you would set a bore mic with) held on the table with a couple of small magnets. All available from McMaster

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1539
    Likes (Received)
    1764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I've been looking for the same thing. AME makes this, it's close but not quite gage quality.

    Calibration Block | Advanced Machine & Engineering Co.
    Wouldn't really need to be, as long as surfaces are parallel and bores are round. If you have the equipment to measure say the 1.000" bore and mark it as such (1.0003 etc) should be fine, depending on price I suppose....

  12. Likes Mud liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN.T View Post
    I could certainly use a cylinder, so long as the length was a known dimension, and flat. and i suppose it would need to big enough to sit nicely on a machine table. does that exist? maybe 3" round, by 3" tall
    That the material is stable enough to be useful for gaging at all, whatever those dimension are, they will assuredly be every bit as stable on the height/length. Not hard to get a figure, make it part of calibration?

    As for the bore in my would be block, center wouldn't matter at all, i would just like to be able to drop the spindle nose onto a block, then probe the bore to check the probe.
    Then here is where you "embed" a stock store-bought cylindrical ring into a shop-fab squared holder.

    I'd suggest placing it OBVIOUSLY off-center, or notching/flatting or rounding one corner as well such that it is always set into place in the same orientation.

    2 components worth.

    Proven approach, yah?

    Whole lotta things on-planet, ourselves included, as are the product of a 2-component exercise, after all!

    What's not to like about that?



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •