Shipping CMM question
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping CMM question

I'm shipping an older working manual Mitutoyo CMM across the country on a pallet. Am I better off?

1. Removing the entire trolley assembly from the support beams & laying it flat on some foam.
    2. Elevating the trolley and resting it on foam rubber (taking the weight off the bearings) and locking it place using shrink wrap. It'll still have the side bearings engaged.
    3. Leaving the trolley as is and locking it place using shrink wrap.

I've already built a crate for the base assembly; it's sitting on a 3/4" piece of plywood which is sitting on a piece of 1" medium density foam which is sitting on top of another piece of 3/4" plywood. I've locked the base in place using wooden blocks and bridgeport style holding clamps.

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is really a job done better by Mitutoyo. They take all the risks then. Having said that there should be your rigging kit that the CMM came with originally. This will lock the bridge in place and and take the load off the bearings. The older models from Mitutoyo were mechanically squared and did not rely on the software mapping like they do today.

I would get help from Mitutoyo.

Mark Boucher